Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone else's egg have holes in it like this.

2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @DaveRichardson‌
    I agree. I thought the scraper would do better than the wheel for removing the excess but I was dead wrong. @RRP was right on the money. The wheel took off more in 10 seconds than the scraper did in a hour. No joke.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @Mattman3969‌
    I can be stubborn and hard headed when I think I'm right. But both humbly and graciously I admit that I was wrong. I stand corrected and I admit it. Hey I can't be right every time. You have to give me credit though. I'm usually correct! ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    @Mattman3969‌
    You know I was just messing with you above right? I'm not stubborn or hard headed at all. ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @RRP‌
    The 3M wheel shined it right up like a new penny.image

Status- Standing by.

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Anyone know how long the egg and related parts have been made in Mexico? Seems like folks have been having cracks and etc more lately. I'm a pilot and fly to Mexico often. Crazy how industry in city's like Monterey have just taken off. Sucks
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    4-ever
    @StillSmoken‌
    Most everything on my Chevrolet says "Made in Mexico". Kind of sad when it could be made right here in America. It's the way of the world now. Profit above all else .

Status- Standing by.

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    The way were going in 20 years well be crossing the river for work.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • SGH
    @StillSmoken‌
    It's sad but probably true my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2014
    Workers complaining about working conditions. So you go where the jobs are.  Get with the program.
    4-ever
    Correct! according to Ed Fisher's book it was in 1974 that he began having the BGE as we know it today manufactured for him in Mexico so that means 40 years now!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @SGH. Your egg's been fine - after all, it's produced some of the best cooks on this forum with your skills and talents.
    BTW aren't Mexicans some of the best stone masons and potters in the world?
    Look around your house and what you eat - there ain't much made here any more.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    Thank you brother. You are to kind my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @DMW‌
    Don't know if you viewed this thread or not. I heard you say some where that you were fixing to do a gasket change as well. If you will view the pics in this post and let me know does your rim have the pitting in it like mine when you change your gasket. It has me curious about other eggs now. Thanks in advance my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    To the OP: it's easily visible in your original pics that those holes exist in your inner bowls too, it's just the nature of this particular ceramic.  
    Air holes within ceramic will only increase its insulation value, a high selling point for the Egg.
    An overly large hole could create a weak spot, eventually a crack; but the Egg comes with a lifetime warranty and you can replace a cracked bowl.

In other words, you're Golden!  
    :-bd

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SGH
    @Botch‌
    Thanks my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Let's approach this from a different angle - I'm no engineer, but I do know a bit about ceramics. I can't believe that non-combustable clay used to create your BGE in its liquid state which is called "slip" could ever be "pitted" which normally refers to being burnt. Now I suppose that there is always a chance that it was very windy the day your "slip" was being mixed and somehow sawdust from a nearby sawmill blew into the plant and settled in your slip. Then as the plaster of Paris mold sucked the water out of the slip leaving the softened clay that sawdust became a problem. Then when the green ware as it is called before firing was placed in the kiln at probably 3000 degrees then the sawdust did in fact burn up leaving these pits. Air pockets or bubbles like those needing to be vibrated out of poured concrete are a possibility, but not as likely as my sawdust theory. Either way your pits are strange and at least with my gasket experience I have never seen the number you have exposed.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    @RRP‌
    It has me baffled as well. When the weather permits I'm going to remove the dome and strip the remains of the gasket from it as well and see what it looks like. I assure you I did nothing to pit the egg. They were there as the gasket came off.

Status- Standing by.