Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Get out of your RUT Eggers~ Let's talk pork bellys

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just 'talking' to and old froum friend Cat of the famous Cat's Ribs and she's messing around with pork bellies at this point in her life (Cooking them . . .) and I was wondering if any of you folks have ever tried doing them. I know I'm going to get a "look" from the super market butcher but what the hell. Love everything I've ever done on my Egg but, now, it's time to try something different. Lo 'n' slo pork belly! Yesssssss!

Comments

• locolongball
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Never tried it! I'll wait to see how yours turns out! ;-)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Sundown,
    I heard it's risky cuz pigs, like humans, have started piercng their belly buttons.
    hee?[p]Qfan recently sent me a recipe for chinese bacon made with pork belly. Sounds interestin. Let us know what you find out. That lady Cat can cook, and I am interested in anything she has to say! Wish she still posted here. Miss her :-(
    Have fun man.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Sundown,
    I have about 25 lbs worth of pork belly curing in the fridge right now in order to make up some bacon for ourselves and for friends and family during the holiday season: "Nothin' says 'love' like a slab o' cured pork belly"! Would be interesting to hear other recipes other than the obvious bacon one for this cut of pork!
    Qfan

• Rumrunner
    Options
    BBQfan1, growing up in VT during the 50' and 60's, my Gramma would make Salt Pork & white gravy...served it over mashed taters, biscuits or toast, depending on the time of day. I didn't like it then, but bet I probably would now ;) I don't have the recipe and neither do my brothers. Someone might, tho.

• locolongball
    Options
    Sundown,
    Alton Brown, is doing a pork belly tonight on his show! As luck would have it!

• Sundown
    Options
    locolongball,
    Yeah, but he's only makin' bacon. I'm hoping to braise a belly and I would like to do a low 'n' slo too. My wife will go nuts but . . . what else is new?

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Sundown, CAT ; CAT .... Bring back some of the original posters and long tme Eggers who have drifted off into Manhatten/New York non - Egg restaurant cuisine...... Post sumthin CAT !! We know you still EGG !

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Sundown, CAT ; CAT .... Bring back some of the original posters and long tme Eggers who have drifted off into Manhatten/New York non - Egg restaurant cuisine...... Post sumthin CAT !! We know you still EGG !

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Sundown:[p]The best use I have for pork bellies is to trim, cure, and smoke for bacon. Are they not a little too fatty for anything else? Please share your thoughts on additional pork belly uses.[p]Hello Cat, hope all is well!
  • Sundown
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Cat said she had been messing with braising pork bellies. I'm going to try lo 'n' slo cooking. I Googled and found a mess of receipts for braised, roasted and fried (bacon) Just something a little different for a change.