Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked Whiz and Russell's Smoked Salmon

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,512
edited July 2014 in Seafood
My go-to low n slow smoked salmon recipe/technique, with these mods/specifics ... cut down soy sauce by 50% (we're not big salt fans), soaked 12 hours, rinsed well before drying in fridge, handful of alder and cherry chips mixed with leftover lump in a large perforated coffee can (halfway through the cook there was half can of lump left, so I topped it up, finished with 1/4 can left), pizza stone on leg-down spider, salmon pieces on top of AR, stoker controlled 170F for 10 hours. We love it best when it's warm and fresh off the egg, much better than refrigerated or previously frozen. 

canuckland

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Wow the color on the smoked fish looks great - nice cook - thanks for posting! 

I am a curious mind . . so I have two questions:

1) what kind of salmon do you recommend?
    2) have you ever done a salmon cure (w/ pink salt) & then smoke?  If so, how does it compare to your brine method?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks @NDG, the colour comes from the cherry chips.
    1) I used Atlantic salmon (probably farm raised), it's the most common and cheapest in my neck of the woods,
    2) sorry never tried with cure.
    canuckland
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Dang that looks good!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    That salmon looks awesome.  Locking in below 200 is reason enough for a controller investment.  Been thinking about doing some low temp smokes like this.  Thanks for posting. 
    Long Island, NY
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Brisket_Fanatic  

Thanks @radamo , don't let lack of controller stop you, it's an easy and forgiving cook, I've done it at 180-200 before and it was still good, had to rotate and smoked for shorter time of course.

canuckland
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Good to know @Canugghead! Thanks...
    Long Island, NY
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Wow!!!  That looks really great!!!  May need to try that.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Salmonegg
    Options
    Un-lurking for a sec to add that we're still in Pacific salmon season and that's all I smoke. (Salmon-wise, at least. Sablefish is also great on the egg.) Fresh, wild sockeye is as low as $9.99 a pound here in Georgia and it's better for you and the environment. I think Alaskan king's running $12.99 this weekend, too, but I like smoking sockeye a little better.

If you're getting farm-raised Atlantic because it's cheap, you're not getting the good Loch Duart stuff. It's pink because it's been fed dye and it's likely to have been grown half a world away, frozen, shipped to China, thawed, cut into filets, re-frozen, and shipped back.
  • matt121966
    Options
    good thread, going to do this soon.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

That looks good! I have trouble getting the texture of salmon the way I like it. What IT is the fish at after the smoke?

Also, did you place foil under each piece to prevent sticking to the rack?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Like the recipe author, we also like it dry to get rid of the 'sliminess' if there's such a thing, never bothered with IT. Yes you're right about the foil.  It's great even after freezing but we like it best when it's fresh off the egg.  10 hours @170F may scare some folks, you can pull them at different intervals and see what you like!  
    Edit: at Niagara eggfest last year, the Jewish egghead friend who taught me about smoked butter 'approved' my fresh egg baked mini bagels and previously frozen smoked salmon. 
    :\">
    canuckland