Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mothership Blames Rutland Gasket

Options
I just replaced my gasket with a Rutland Gasket from@RRP. Before I replaced it, had trouble with hinge and alignment, thought I would take it all apart and fix while putting on new gasket. Now once together, top sits back at least 1/4" back from bottom, I tried adjusting and it aligns but once you open, it's off again. I wrote to mothership and I was told it was the gasket, nothing they could do. Really? That is support? Has anyone else had an issue with Rutland Gasket? I removed the top gasket. This isn't good.
LBGE Johns Creek, GA

Comments

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Did you install the Rutland on both the top and bottom? I installed mine on the bottom only per Ron's instructions and I don't have any problems.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I sent @dagriller a PM. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I too received similar comment says rutland gasket not approved for the egg. Only good for wooden stove.

Sent me new gasket. So I replaced rutland gasket w their gaskets just to prove them wrong. And that the egg is actually dished. See my other post.

Sure enough still have issue. Waiting to hear back from the customer service. Hope to resolve this soon.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I cal BS, on the Mothership love my Rutland
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The Rutland is, if anything, more forgiving and fluffy than the factory gasket.  Has no impact on if the hinge system or ceramics are effed-up. 

Take my advice and don't mention the Rutland it if you have non-related problems.  If they ask, tell them you'll check, install the factory gasket, if you still have the problem, you're kosher.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Well said my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never used a Rutland on my egg, but have had many on the wood stove. It is my understanding those who use a Rutland on their egg only install it on the base, the dome is bare ceramic and most are quite satisfied with how it works. With two layers of Rutland, you might be creating a seal issue and a dome alignment issue. To my knowledge, Rutland gaskets are meant to be compressed to seal completely as in most air tight wood stoves, even though the egg does not latch tight the 1/8" thick fiberglass gasket does not seem to create a problem for most eggers. 

For whatever reason, BGE does not support modifications to or the use of other than their own gaskets. We may not like it, but that is their business decision. @dfrelich - let us know how it goes.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    No gasket was installed on top as per instructions. I replied to them since issue was there before I installed new gasket. I had sent pictures of gap( my bad, wanted to save a few steps), which is why they blamed gasket. I just wanted to do this once and be done. I may remove Rutland, then install their product just to get it fixed . Oh, they also said wait , it may just fix itself. To be continued...
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @dagriller‌
    I could be mistaken but that being said I don't think it's going to fix it's self. That sounds to me like they were tying to shoot you a load of bull snot. Just my thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

I totally understand the Mothership's response.  They cannot support every Egg configuration so they have a standard and the Rutland gasket isn't part of it.  Having typed that, the OP will most likely have the same alignment issues with the standard gasket as well.  Loss of support (to some extent) is the risk we run from using "non approved" materials. 

@dagriller - I was going to recommend exactly what you posted about switching back to the supported gasket.  In IT, we have had to do something similar to a system before to get vendor support.  Then, when you have the same issue, maybe they will move on the other solutions.  I had an alignment issue on my Egg which I lived with for many years until I replaced my hinge/band assembly.  I found having the hinge up high in the back and the bands low in the forn fixed my underbite issue.  Good luck. 

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    My Egg has a bit of an underbite... same one it had before the rutland.  I get a good seal and try not to think about it.  BGE is defn not the best hinge assembly out there.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I cal BS, on the Mothership love my Rutland

How is it BS if you are doing something BGE says not to do in their TOS regarding the warranty?
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Because he had the issue before the Rutland and he will have the issue after the Rutland.  There are a lot of documented underbites with the factory gasket.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have often wondered about situations like this concerning the warranty. Lots of people on here have made mods that are not even close to the OEM parts. Gaskets and lump grates come to mind. We all do it to enhance the output of the egg and I get that and am guilty as charged but if you take your car back to the dealer for warranty and they feel that a modification that you made caused or was even partly to blame for whatever failure you are outta luck.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    rutland does not want to have anything to do with the food industry, they have a great hold in other markets already and they dont want to be in some class action lawsuit because someone was eating their gaskets. i would believe bge feels the same way and has said it in the past that rutland has not been tested for food safety. now i dont believe the new nomex gaskets have been tested either for food safety
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I could definitely see a problem with using a Rutland rope gasket vs flat tape gasket. The rope thickness of the rope gasket could cause a problem with the way the hinge works.

If BGE were to support alignment issues with Rutland's, they would need to specify the type, thickness, how it was installed, etc. I can see their position that they can only support as shipped from factory.

Not that I won't be installing a Rutland on both my eggs soon, I have them here ready to go thanks to @RRP.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Because he had the issue before the Rutland and he will have the issue after the Rutland.  There are a lot of documented underbites with the factory gasket.

I wasn't commenting on that, just the Rutland.
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    I don't believe it's the gasket but I need to put it back to stock in order for them to do anything. I should have taken pictures before the gasket but I thought it was just an alignment. I see both sides. Ron was great on the Rutland and once I get this fixed, I will reach out to him again. I want a gasket that will last more than a year. I will let you know how it plays out.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My band is really off center and keeps getting worse. It sucks because I bent my original band when a carriage bolt got stuck and I twisted too hard so I spent the $100 to buy a new band and it may be worse than the original. They really need to incorporate adjustments on the large band like they have on the XL.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    if this is an xl, might ask bge how to adjust the hinge mechanism.  underbite and overbite were big problems years ago.  my xl, has a big underbite.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • dfrelich
    edited July 2014
    Options
    The Rutland is, if anything, more forgiving and fluffy than the factory gasket.  Has no impact on if the hinge system or ceramics are effed-up. 

Take my advice and don't mention the Rutland it if you have non-related problems.  If they ask, tell them you'll check, install the factory gasket, if you still have the problem, you're kosher.
    Problem here was that they asked me to take pictures.  They say the gasket in the picture is not Green Egg Approved. 

They were good.  Sent me free gaskets to reinstall.  So that's good customer service to me.  Although its a pain to go through all this just to "prove" them wrong. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My egg always had an under bite. I tried everything. When my base cracked and I installed the new one it lined up perfectly.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I have a persistent underbite, despite using standard sized gaskets and having replaced the ring set.  I can't believe that the Rutland would have anything more than a negligible effect on the alignment.  I don't recall having an underbite before I replaced the base.  I got it back in alignment, but after the first hot cook, it was out again.  I will just live with it.
    Kemah, TX
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Mine has an underbite as well. It seals well, so I'm not going to bother with it, until I need a new gasket.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • dfrelich
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I replaced the gasket per request of the mothership.  Last weekend I noticed something that made it more obvious.  Check out the picture.  You will see darkened gasket (top and bottom) indicating there's a leak around that area whereas the permitter around is much "cleaner". 

So it is not gasket but the egg.  I hope they remedy this week.  I've yet to hear back.  I guess the POC is on vacation last week. 

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • dagriller
    Options
    This is an old post but I called my dealer, he told me how to set it up correctly, which I had done several times. They did have a guy that worked at the store and could do it for me on the side but charged $65. I called the guy, he came out, took one look (and some pictures), and said it was worst he had seen of bad hinge sets (they had a bad batch). He obtained a new hinge set and installed. Everything is good now and worth the $65. It was so bad, I had to use a piece of wood to hold up lid (not safe), which made cooking almost impossible. Then it would go down and leave a 1/4" - 1/2" gap. I'm glad it's fixed and I can start cooking again!
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • dagriller
    Options
    Test
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA