Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AR question concerning low cooking temps

Options
I just my first low and slow on my AR. I also used my PartyQ in an attempt to maintain a 230 cooking temp for 6 hours. The funny thing is that I could never get the temp down to the 230 mark for the entire cook. The lowest it would go was about 250 after 6 hours. I had the daisy wheel choked down to just a hairline crack and no gaps in the bottom vent. Without the AR I've never had a problem maintaining temps between 220 and 230 with just a platesetter and PQ. Could it be that the AR allows for better airflow and fuel burning inside the egg, causing higher running temps compared to a stock set up at the same vent openings? Any other explanation ? Anyone else experience this?
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't have an AR, but I can't imagine it has anything to do with your problem other than it may have less mass than the plate setter.  Dial the DFMT almost closed.
    Options
    230 or 250. No big difference. Not sure what you were cooking, but either way, the 20 degree difference is not an issue. Both temps are still pretty low.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Let me amend that to dial the DFMT closed.  There are enough leaks to power through.  Don't let the fire get big.  Small and hot.
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Are you sure your AR wasn't holding your lid open just a little bit to allow some air in? Having the AR in the egg should not effect the temperature.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've been able to maintain 250 easily with the AR with no controller for hours and hours.  I don't generally go much below that.
    NOLA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    Are you sure your AR wasn't holding your lid open just a little bit to allow some air in? Having the AR in the egg should not effect the temperature.

Yes. I know there is not a big difference but there is a difference.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Try not to overshoot the temp in the beginning, light the lump in the middle only.

I just did a smoked salmon using AR with Stoker, no problem with 170F for 10 hours, like @nolaegghead said, I had a small and hot fire in a large coffee can, of course for your 230 target temp you don't need a coffee can, you can see my salmon thread for setup info.
    canuckland
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Big picture, to high a temp means to much airflow into the cooker.  I'd check the cooker for leaks and such.  One other thing to consider is wind,  having the slider facing a hefty breeze can mess with temps. 

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A new, clean and shinny AR will always cook 20 degrees hotter.
    After a couple cooks it will be back to normal.lol

I don't have a PQ but do have the DQ and it has a slider vent to limit "natural draft". Might check or close it a little more if it does. 

Was your PQ even running at all if your target temp was 20 over?

Was your pit probe clipped to the same spot?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    My guess is your fire was too large...meaning too much lump was lit. Try to start a very small area and then like others have stated, don't overshoot too much. I hold 225 with my AR without issue.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    A new, clean and shinny AR will always cook 20 degrees hotter.
    After a couple cooks it will be back to normal.lol

I don't have a PQ but do have the DQ and it has a slider vent to limit "natural draft". Might check or close it a little more if it does. 

Was your PQ even running at all if your target temp was 20 over?

Was your pit probe clipped to the same spot?

Nope.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I'll try to light a smaller fire, but I've been doing the same thing for a year or better. The only thing that's different is the AR.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Just did 230 with AR and digi q for 7+ hours.
    Its not the AR, that is for sure.

(Fire, probe, controller, egg vents, calibration,)?
    Seattle, WA