Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan wood....

Options
What meat is pecan wood best used for? Also, do you mix it with other woods...Apple, cherry, hickory, peach? I hear it's a really good wood but wanting to learn more about it.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I like pecan & cherry mix for chicken, pork, fish etc. Or even brisket/beef. But, I'd tell ya that oak is best on beef though imho.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @corey24‌
    Pecan is a excellent all around wood. It's good on everything. It is outstanding mixed 50/50 with oak. The 50/50 mix is what I use the most. Everyone has different tastes but in my opinion oak and pecan are as good as it gets. One would be hard pressed to do any better. In my opinion they have no rival or equal for quality smoke. Just my thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @corey24‌
    If you have access to pecan wood get it. You won't regret it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @corey24‌
    If you have access to both oak and pecan, well that's even better my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I like to mix pecan with oak for beef and chicken. It's a good, clean smoking wood that's good with most anything. I even smoked some tuna for a Smoked tuna dip with the pecan/oak mix and it was far better than the alder that I've used in the past.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I mix pecan and cherry a lot for both chicken and Pork, I use Oak for beef.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SGH‌ I'm plum outta oak chunks. :-q
    I'll be making a pit stop after my first service call to get more wood chunks and maybe a bag or two of lump. I'm down to 3 bags right now.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    You got to have that oak brother. It's the real deal!

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I use it by itself or mixed with cherry for everything except hams (use sugar maple).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Pecan is my favorite and I will use it for anything.
    NOLA
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I love pecan too.  I used it on all my smokes.  I also have "post oak" per Franklin.  My wife isn't a big smoker so I need to keep it tame.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat