Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone else's egg have holes in it like this.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I have slowly been working to clean the gasket off of the rim to install my Rutland gasket. As it gets cleaner I have started to notice some very severe pitting. The more I clean the worse it gets. Any thoughts or input welcome. It's around the entire circumference of the rim. Is this normal?
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think you have one of those Mexican made eggs. 
    Options
    Air pockets in the ceramic... Unlike pouring concrete and vibrating it, looks like no gave the molds a few wacky to get the air out.
  • SGH
    Options
    Here is some more. The more I clean the more I find.imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Every part of my egg does say Mexico on it. No joke.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I have to ask this...what are you using to clean it with? As for those pits I wouldn't be concerned since the Permatex will fill those holes and provide an even better grip of your Rutland as long as you work in short lengths and don't let it skim over.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Doesn't look good...
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    This is what I'm using sir.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Should I use something else? It's not the tool causing it. They are already there.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    I have been wiping the old gasket with acetone then scrapping with the scrapper.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Any thoughts or suggestions my friend?

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP‌ Should I use something else? It's not the tool causing it. They are already there.

I'm sorry I thought you had bought the Rutland from me. In my instructions I strongly suggest using a 3M rotary wheel called a paint and rust remover and no chemical. There are knock offs available if you can't find 3M. I do agree with others though that your egg was not properly settled when it was cast.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited July 2014
    Options
    That is exactly what I used.  What is that crack in?  Fire ring?

A gasket covers it so I guess you should not worry about it until it really becomes a problem.  We all probably have the same thing.  It's funny there is another thread on here tonight (the MiniMax thread) with a guy saying he fires his own pottery and in his opinion the BGE ceramic is the best quality of any of the ceramic grills.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Mexican Air Bubbles.... No worries!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Sir I did buy my Rutland from you. I was just trying to get the excess off with the scraper before I put the 3M wheel on it. Should I use the wheel only and not worry about the scraper? Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP‌ Sir I did buy my Rutland from you. I was just trying to get the excess off with the scraper before I put the 3M wheel on it. Should I use the wheel only and not worry about the scraper? Thanks in advance.

BINGO
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

Here is some more. The more I clean the more I find.image

I was more concerned about this particular photo vs the air bubbles. Is this a crack or lighting refraction?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    It's a crack but it's in the fire ring not the egg it's self.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SGH‌ #:-S
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I hear you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Thank you sir. No more scraper. Will put the 3M wheel on it. Thanks again.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Sir you were correct. This worked MUCH better. Took it right off with no effort at all. I should have followed your direction to the T. Anyone replacing your gasket this works like magic to remove the old one. Take my advice and listen to @RRP. He called that one right on the money. You are the man sir.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    thank you...
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    No my friend. Thank you for both your service and advice.

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @sgh - you just did what 99% of the male population does. Who needs the stinkin instructions?? =)) I bet you did no harm.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I have the same bubbles/pits- don't think it's anything to worry about. At least hope not
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ @Wolfpack‌
    I hope it's ok. I'm guessing it's been like that for over 2 years and no problems so far. I'm going to email the pics to the mothership and see what that say. Couldn't hurt to show them.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    This is really the only spot that really concerned me as it is very deep.imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Look at it this way... You now have great photographic evidence if, by horrible chance, you egg is stolen; you have it's unique "fingerprint"!!! Something that's pretty cool!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    Options
    @DaveRichardson‌
    You make a valid point my friend. I did not think of that. It would certainly prove it was my egg!

Status- Standing by.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    No problem! I kinda like seeing all the posts on folks changing gaskets and their trials and tribulations... I am NOT a "by the instruction manual" kind of guy here.... But I will yield to @RRP‌ on this one; seems to be the go-to guy on gaskets.

And did anyone see @dagriller‌'s thread on the Mothership blaming the Rutland on his underbite... Sent him a new gasket, he put it on, and the underbite come right back. Hopefully that will give some credibility to the Rutland. Just don't eat it! (Sarcastic smart - azz font...) :D