Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any news on minimax availability?

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Gogogordy said:
    Anytime you play with fire, you need to exercise caution and expect the unexpected. I wouldnt let the lack of a screen keep me from buying a KJ Jr., nor do I consider the inclusion of a screen on my BGE a fail-safe against potential fire hazard. End of the day, if I light a fire in a BBQ or anywhere, I feel responsible for it.
    While I completely agree with your general logic, as in "Anytime you play with fire..."  I am holding out for the MiniMax for two reasons 1) the screen.  I have seen flames/cinders/ash fly out of air flow opeing in the bottom of my XL BGE when the screen wasn't closed.   2) The quality of the ceramic.  I did a TON of research before I purchased my egg.  I looked at every kamado I could find and compared them.  BGE has the best quality ceramic with the best warranty in its' class.  I also throw pottery, and fire it myself. SO, I feel qualified to make that judgement.  GO BGE!!!

Others have had cinders/ash "incidents" with screen-equipped units, so a screen isnt a fail-safe. Ive had klinkers jump out of the grill area and chimney on my BGE. Regarding ceramics....You say you're qualified to speak with authority about them, so what is your factual basis for proclaiming one "the best quality ceramic"?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • JNJGoeders
    JNJGoeders Posts: 90
    @ Gogogordy - I have been fortunate and have not had hot things spitting from my BGE other than through the open door. But, I whole heartedly agree that nothing is a fail-safe, thus I try to be attentive and very careful.

As far as the ceramics, I called headquarters and researched the ceramics materials used, the Cone fire temp, the achieved/optimum thickness of said ceramics and the process of production. They are the best "in their class" as I said earlier. Kamado Joe is a close 2nd. Thinner ceramics, lower grade clays, slower Cone temp.... Not a lot inferior, but a little.

There is one brand that's superior, but WAYYY more expensive. Names shall not be mentioned, as it's close to blasphemy here
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • JNJGoeders
    @Lit‌ > wouldn't modifying your KJ like that void the warranty?
    Regarding the ceramics, it's ceramic... If you heat it up fast & cool it down, it expands & contracts. It's porous! It's gonna crack. Gotta respect the BGE warranty, cuz they acknowledged that, and uphold their warranty without a bunch of red tape (said nicely cuz most the time, I'm a lady
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @JNJGoeders‌ all I have to do is slightly bend the rails of the metal track out with a flat head screw driver like a twentieth of an inch. They would never even know. I have even had to do it with a BGE or 2 when they weren't sliding easily.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
      "I am holding out for the MiniMax for two reasons...2) The quality of the ceramic.  I did a TON of research before I purchased my egg.  I looked at every kamado I could find and compared them.  BGE has the best quality ceramic with the best warranty in its' class.  I also throw pottery, and fire it myself. SO, I feel qualified to make that judgement.  GO BGE!!!
    Just curious what you think the "best quality ceramic" (assuming that's the case - there are some who would debate that point) actually gets you - better cooks?  Longer durability?  Something else?

I have both a BGE (Mini) and KJ (Classic - 2014 model with the D&C) and can tell absolutely NO difference in quality one way or the other in the ceramic.  They both take way too long to heat up, both cook the same, and both look like they will outlast / outlive me, and are generally a lot of fun.

So, what are you hoping to achieve by getting "the best quality ceramic" other than peace of mind that you have the "best"?  Not that there's anything wrong with that but really trying to understand why ceramic is even a consideration one way or the other here..

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    PS: I also 'think' the KJ and BGE warranties are the same but not 100% sure on that.

All things said, I love my Mini more than my KJ - but just because it's a better size for the two of us, and I can get it up to temp MUCH faster than the big honking KJ (essentially a LBGE size).

The KJ on the other hand has been great for things I need to get far away from the fire (spatchcock or other chick, pizza, etc).

I was also interested in the Mini Max but will probably stay with the current setup since it's pretty much the best of both worlds (high dome cooking on the KJ and super turbo charged grilling on the Mini)..but for those who don't already have a Mini, the Max looks like it'll be one heckuva a machine.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • JNJGoeders
     @ SmokeyBear 

I think after all my comparative research (months worth, and selling precious stuff to be able to afford my XLBGE) I decided the BGE is the best.  That was why I wanted it.  That was good enough for me. :D
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    My dealer told me on Monday that they heard Nov -Dec release dates

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I was in the Mother Ship about 2 weeks ago and they told me 90 days which puts it around October.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    All these semantics about which has the better ceramic is hogwash. Cooks between the two will taste the same. Both are equally likely to crack. Both will be replaced under warranty. For me, my loyalty came down to the dealer. BGE dealer was down the street, was pleasant to deal with, and will take care of me. If he had been a KJ dealer, there would he a black kamado sitting on my deck, not a green one
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    odie91 said:
    All these semantics about which has the better ceramic is hogwash. Cooks between the two will taste the same. Both are equally likely to crack. Both will be replaced under warranty.

^^^^this^^^^
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Let me add, if they really are going to all these extra steps in the manufacturing process to make this superior ceramic, the superior results in the real world are showing to be marginal at best.  If anything, would just show a poor operations decision (i.e. higher overhead cost).     
  • bbqjk
    bbqjk Posts: 18

My dealer finally got through to the Mothership this morning and was told the minimax might be available by the end of the year, but likely will ship next spring. It seems they are just too busy with whatever else.

I tried calling several times, but always get voice mail; even the operator is on voice mail. I left messages for customer service, but received no response. Makes me feel like an existing owner must just be a nuisance for the Mothership. Frankly, as a new owner wanting to buy another BGE, I expected better customer service. Just hope I never have to go to them for help.

Not impressed to say the least.

Retired in Houston, Texas  LBGE and MBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I was told at Saturday's demo they WERE expected for July but, now projected for October (Maybe). Idea is to have them to dealers for tailgating season.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bbqjk

Hopefully, October is accurate.

Anyone have any idea of pricing?

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Will be comparatively priced to a Small would be my guess. As all the small components will be used except for the fire grate which the same as the large.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bbqjk

Went to see my BGE dealer this afternoon. He said current price on a small is $699 and no discount even though they sent me a coupon for 15% off entire purchase in their store. Said they weren't allowed to offer it on the small BGE. The LBGE is on sale for $719, so I didn't see the value in spending $699 for a small to go with the LBGE I bought in April.

So, I went to Ace Hardware in the Woodlands and got a KJ Jr. for $404 (10% discount off $449) complete with stand, heat deflector, lifter and ash tool. Its now home and warming up as we speak.

The grate is 13.5 inches, slightly larger than the BGE small. Got to go put my steaks on.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    bbqjk said:

Went to see my BGE dealer this afternoon. He said current price on a small is $699 and no discount even though they sent me a coupon for 15% off entire purchase in their store. Said they weren't allowed to offer it on the small BGE. The LBGE is on sale for $719, so I didn't see the value in spending $699 for a small to go with the LBGE I bought in April.

So, I went to Ace Hardware in the Woodlands and got a KJ Jr. for $404 (10% discount off $449) complete with stand, heat deflector, lifter and ash tool. Its now home and warming up as we speak.

The grate is 13.5 inches, slightly larger than the BGE small. Got to go put my steaks on.

$699 for a small, but $719 for a large? and you are in TX? That dealer was joking right?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Well that settle it. KJ for me. Back in April I heard June then July now October or next spring. I've been patient. Sry BGE
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SmokyBear
    Quite the mystery why any company would announce a product and wait 6 months to a year to actually ship it.

Losing faith..
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SmokyBear said:
    Quite the mystery why any company would announce a product and wait 6 months to a year to actually ship it.

Losing faith..
    That NEVER happens with tech companies...would never announce something before availability so as to appear as not to be behind the competition. Oh wait, that happens all the time...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokyBear
    DMW said:
    SmokyBear said:

Losing faith..
    That NEVER happens with tech companies...would never announce something before availability so as to appear as not to be behind the competition. Oh wait, that happens all the time...
    Worked in Tech for nearly 30 years..

We pre-announce ALL the time..but never as far as Mothership has with the Mini-Max.
  • DMW
    @SmokyBear I agree, a bit too far out. But, I would guess they needed to get something out there due to KJ Jr.

Classic example of marketing calling the shots.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I stopped by the mothership sat. To get my new base and they said 2-3 months for the mini-max.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • DMW
    Kosko said:

I stopped by the mothership sat. To get my new base and they said 2-3 months for the mini-max.

Marketing speak for when R&D, production, and QA catches up to what we announced without telling them.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Lit
    @kosko good to hear you finally got someone to respond.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Their final decision - is 'maybe'. ~X(

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

a dealer locally in AZ who does a LOT of BGE events and sells a lot of BGE units and products told me that they've been told to expect the minimax in time for football season for tailgating purposes.  I didn't interpret that to mean pre-season games but my interpretation of this is September.  I'd love it to be late July tho!

I would bet that they'll sell more minimax units than they imagined.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @bbqjk‌ - was that at Bering's? That's pretty ridiculous that the small coats almost as much as the large. The KJ Jr was a good deal.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    You can get the KJ junior for $404 shipped to your house free at thegardengates.con. Its $450 but they always have a 10% off code. I got mine with all the stuff mentioned above for $350 shipped to my door from them.