Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ouch!

Dawnl
Dawnl Posts: 252
Yesterday had a full cook to do, wings, beef tenderloin tips, stuffed peppers, zucs, abts and onion rings.  As I was lifting the platesetter out of the egg to cook the tenderloins down lower I felt something burning so put it down on a marble hotplate on the picnic table.  Both of my hands were burned right thru the welders gloves, turned around to look at the platesetter to make sure it was ok and the picnic table was smoking, holy hannah that thing was so hot it burned off all the crude and looks new.  The pain in my hands was unbearable, have some nice big blisters today!  Any one else done this?
Ottawa Valley, Ontario

Comments

• bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    I have.  Not to the point of blisters, but that platesetter can get HOT!
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited July 2014
    I have not burned myself but would never try to move it further than the 2-3' that I do to set it down. I'm holding it for a maximum of maybe 10 seconds and would never go further. I use a very heavy duty set of welders gloves too.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use I've gloves they work pretty well. Another tip I take the gloves off as soon as I put the plate setter down as the heat is sometimes delayed and still making its way through the gloves.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Sorry to hear that you got burnt....I remember reading on the forum, some one said make sure you have good landing areas close to your egg...That was the first thing I set up.. 
    :-q
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just one more reason to not use platesetters. So much easer with the ceramic disk.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Mickey said:
    Just one more reason to not use platesetters. So much easer with the ceramic disk.
    Doesn't that get hot too?

I use a pair on channel lock pliers to list and move my (hot) plate setter. It allows me to use a gloved hand that maintains minimal contact with the plate setter.

Hope your burns heal quickly!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @TexanOfTheNorth, thank you, I hope so too.  Son asked me not to cook on the egg today, guess he is afraid to get another call at work from a hysterical woman, so chili (with beans   :D) is being cooked indoors.  Hope the boss is understanding  at work tomorrow.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Hoping you heal quickly. I have burnt myself before removing the PS. Learned a lot that day. And yes,I had had a beverage or eight.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Oh, so the moniker is less about the food and more about the cook.
    Thanks @berndcrisp.  I did learn something!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Mickey said:
    Doesn't that get hot too?

I use a pair on channel lock pliers to list and move my (hot) plate setter. It allows me to use a gloved hand that maintains minimal contact with the plate setter.

Hope your burns heal quickly!
    Channel locks and my home spun ash tool, slip them under the setter and lift it out, no gloves needed. If you have a grid under the setter, getting hot for a reverse sear, make sure you have some tile strips or copper tees on the grid to separate the setter from it. Makes it much easier to pick up the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    There is a tool for lifting the plate setter, not sure if it's from BGE or not. It's gust a piece of bent flat-bar. Work great and simple design.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I was happy to have sold my plate setter and get the AR. No more fiddling with a hot piece of ceramic. Now I lift the whole rig in and out and since the handles are thin there's barely any heat transfer through my pair of gloves that the platesetter was eating through.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've only handled it when I pull it to add wood after I have put in to get up to temp for a low slow. I try not to handle it when it's over 300°. It can get very hot.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    And thats... why I have it in a Woo3 :)

Sorry to hear about your hands
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Not trying to throw salt into your wounds, but no pics = didn't happen. Just kidding. Hope your hands heal well.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited July 2014
    hapster said:
    And thats... why I have it in a Woo3 :)

Sorry to hear about your hands
    just to clarify it would be the PSWoo2......

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Deep C-clamp, $5.99 @ Harbour Freight:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Botch said:
    Deep C-clamp, $5.99 @ Harbour Freight:

Don't tighten that to tight or it will crack the PS and that metal clamp can get pretty hot too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I use ove gloves, they work great, pull the plate setter out flip it and quickly put it down on my concrete patio.  They do smoke a little though.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Ouch indeed, hope you heal well/soon.  Been there, done that, the intense heat got to my hands so fast I had to land the p/s on the gasket :((
    canuckland
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Thanks folks, hands are doing well.  Had to wear those silly little finger condoms at work today, don't want chicken juice and other meat juices to get into the wounds, of course customers asked if I had cut myself and I just hung my head and said "No, burned on the egg"  I have learned a very valuable lesson, do all my searing first then my low and slows.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Welders gloves are ok, but I prefer firefighting gloves. They are insulated and water proof. I have been using a pair for years and have been very happy with them.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Dickson's Hardware on Avenue Road sells a tool for lifting the platesetter.  I got one for Christmas so I am prepared the next time I have to lift out a hot plate setter.  I also have some fire bricks next to the egg for a nice convenient landing spot.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital