Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's humble cook.

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Well, I just found a new pictorial for "humble".  If that's humble then I need a recalibration.. Most eggcellent cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother. You and your family have a safe and happy 4th of July.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Rezegger‌
    Where you at on the coast? I will be cooking by the small craft harbor tomorrow night for the fireworks show. Come by and introduce yourself if you have time.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @SGH. "Humble" hogwash! Simple - yeah, but you could serve your food to a king.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    One chicken breast cook without wrapping and it's dirty again. All that work for nothing. Oh well. I never learn my friend. My daddy, God rest his soul
    always said I was more hard headed than a mule. Guess he was right.

imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    everything looks good!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Never trust anyone with a grid that clean. What can I say, nothing sticks. (Nice cook and where do you live) image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Very nice cook!! 

Let me see if I understand your setup.  You put the CI grid on the spider under the plate setter, and then planned to remove the plate setter and boost the temp for a quick sear?  Looks like a good way to go.  I usually put a stone on the bottom ring of my Woo (XL), then remove the stone, put down a SS grid, and stick a CI griddle on that.  Of course then I need to wait for all the new stuff to heat up.  I'm going to try it your way - advantage is that the cast iron grid is already hot when you remove the plate setter. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • SGH
    Options
    @tksmoke‌
    Yes. The cast iron grid sits on the spider right above the coals. Next the plate setter sits inside of the Woo. This makes it very easy to remove the plate setter. Just lift the handles. Next the cooking grid sits on top of the Woo. A very simple to use set up. Having the cast iron grid in for the duration is a plus in my opinion as it is already fairly hot when you pull the plate setter.

@boochsr71‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.
    @Mickey‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. I live just north of Gulfport.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Close to I-10? We go by there every year. Twice already this year to Seaside, FL
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    Exactly 17 miles due north of I-10.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    You have a great 4th my friend and I always enjoy seeing your pics. Great setups and awesome looking food. All that and a very humble chef.
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you brother. You and your family have a safe and happy 4th as well.

Status- Standing by.

• Rezegger
    Rezegger Posts: 29
    Options
    SGH said:

@Rezegger‌
    Where you at on the coast? I will be cooking by the small craft harbor tomorrow night for the fireworks show. Come by and introduce yourself if you have time.

Actually, I live up near the reservoir Brandon Ms area, but we brought the kids down Ship Island for the day.
    It sounds like a good time.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Rezegger‌
    I now live in Saucier. Just north of Gulport.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SGH‌ PS. I wrap that rascal for protection...it makes cleanup a breeze.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Most of the time I do wrap it. Just was being lazy my friend!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I know that you already know that a clean burn will shine it up nice. But if you ever have something stubborn that don't want to come off give the weed burner a shot. It will remove anything from the setter or a stone.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Rezegger‌
    Just curious. Was you born and raised in Brandon?

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SGH‌ yep I did clean it all up on my last pizza cook. After that I've wrapped it and it makes life so much easier for clean up. I used to use an empty water pan for this purpose (no more and the flavor is as good if not better imho).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Rezegger
    Options
    I've been here for about 8 years. I'm originally from Natchez, MS.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Rezegger‌
    I don't know what route you took but if you came down 49 to the coast you came right by my place.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Rezegger‌
    The next time you are down this way let me know. Would be nice to meet a fellow egger.

Status- Standing by.

• Rezegger
    Options
    Sounds good. I will let you know the next time I come through. I did take 49 straight to Gulfport.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Rezegger‌
    When you went under the new 67 overpass you had just passed my place.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @bill37‌
    The marinade was pretty good. Not the best in my opinion but overall not bad. I would use it again in a pinch.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @bill37‌ @caliking‌
    Here is the manufacturer and their web site my friend. Just noticed it was on the back of the bottle.

Status- Standing by.