Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oiling the cooking grate?

Options
susanshaw
susanshaw Posts: 18
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
I know this is really simple but I couldn't find anything by searching on the forum. Just started using my BGE and want to know if I should rub oil on the grate before grilling? So far all I've made is some vegetables and a pineapple and didn't oil, but not sure about when I start grilling meat.  Thanks.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I don't, usually.  Sometimes I will halve an onion and rub the grid down with that, just to clean it up a bit.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Are you referring to the standard SS grid that came with your egg? Or a CI grid?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like to use a little oil on the grate.  Mine is the older porcelain grate and the porcelain is starting to wear.  A little oil just helps keep the food from sticking.  Another option is to use oil or butter on the meat.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    No oil for me on my stainless grid.
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I remember seeing something somewhere that said you should oil the food, not the grate.

Did anyone else ever hear that or am I just having another of those senior moments where I think Civil War soldiers give me advise on life

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Occasionally I will spray high temperature PAM for Grilling on a grate when I am cooking wings. OTOH this is a good time to warn newbies to NEVER spray PAM toward a burning fire! That is a dangerous, foolish thing to do!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You don't need to oil anything unless you have problems with the food sticking.  Some foods stick more than others.  Some foods have plenty of oil in them.  Fish likes to stick.  A little mayo (emulsified oil) helps with fish (on the fish).  A lean steak won't stick if the grate is hot enough.  Seasoned grates don't necessarily need any oil. 

Bottom line, a little oil is great for seasoning to stick to on the food side, but you don't need it unless the food sticks and you can put it on the grill or the food, as long as it's in between the two. Figure out what works for you, or error on the side of caution and keep everything lubed up.
    Options
    On my CI grid I'll occasionally hit with a high temp spray oil or brush on some oil. But, mine is pretty seasoned so usually just let the egg heat it up and knock off any buildup. For delicate cuts like fish etc yes I oil it up so it has less of an opportunity of sticking to the grid. Don't see a need on the SS except for maybe again on fish etc.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • susanshaw
    Options
    It's the stainless steel grid that came with my new egg. Seems like the answer is that it's not necessary. Thanks for the help!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    More of a generic grilling question than an egg-specific one. If you watch America's Test Kitchen, they always do. Light their gasser, brush off junk from last time and then rub on some oil. I guess it's prolly a good idea. Don't know for sure cuz... I've never done it.  :D

As long as you don't clean your grid, there's always oil on there. Works for my porcelain and my cast iron grids. And on the stainless grid on my Weber..

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    No oil for me! Welcome aboard.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Farbuck said:
    I remember seeing something somewhere that said you should oil the food, not the grate.

Did anyone else ever hear that or am I just having another of those senior moments where I think Civil War soldiers give me advise on life
    On the amazingribs site I'm pretty sure there was a tip in regards to searing.  He suggested painting the meat with fat (oil, clarified butter, etc) rather than the grill or pan.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@susanshaw - I don't use any oil on my SS grid, but I do clean it after each cook.  Others don't clean at all.  Neither is right or wrong - it's just personal preference.  I use a stainless steel mesh pad grill scrubber brush while the grill is still hot.  The purpose is to get the big chunks and sauces off.  You will find that everything here is controversial - some will say any brushes lose pieces of their bristles, and those pieces stick to the grid and will cause leprosy.  I don't buy it.  Ebola maybe, but certainly not leprosy.

Anyhow - see how easily I get side tracked? - as you cook on the grid, unless you use solvents to clean (and those cause depravity), some oil will remain after cleaning off the chunks.  Some folks still like to give it a quick coat of canola.  I don't.  You will develop your own style. 

Cast Iron grids require some oil, or they will rust.   

Welcome aboard - Enjoy!!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • susanshaw
    Options
    thanks! yes BGEworld seems to be full of people with divergent opinions :)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Farbuck said:

On the amazingribs site I'm pretty sure there was a tip in regards to searing.  He suggested painting the meat with fat (oil, clarified butter, etc) rather than the grill or pan.  
    Same advice from Elizabeth Karmel author of Taming the Flame. Oil the food not the grids. I seldom oil meats but veggies are always tossed in oil. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    That is why I never clean it after cooking. I just knock enough off at warm up so my protein will sit flat. No need for oil.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I like using oil on high heat direct grills (like for skin on chicken). I find it helps to keep the skin whole and not rip little holes in it. Most other types of cooks I don't bother.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    ... error on the side of caution and keep everything lubed up.
    Words of wisdom that can be applied to many facets of everyday life :P

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I just use some Pam when cooking fish. Also don't squirt on when grill is on the fire, Ron is correct.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I only oil my steaks with with olive oil or grapeseed oil to help seasoninget stick better. I also oil veggies to help seasoning stick too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I heat the grill up so previous cooks bits are loose. Scrub the grate enough to get any residue from prev cook off, then spray it with Pam. Makes a fireball if you aren't careful. I spray it at an angle, so that it hits the face of the cast iron, then do the same to the opposite side. I love how food doesn't stick at all this way. I cook a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast, and they tend to stick. This method corrects that for me. 4 of my 5 eggs have cast iron, this keeps the grates looking new. I use the medium the most, so I don't do much more than this. The others I will come back after the fire is done and hit it with Pam to keep the mold and rust at bay in between cooks. Then I leave the bottom vent open a half inch or so to let it dry out.