Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick Cables

Options
Thinking of taking the plunge on the ET-733 today. The price isn't bad (69.99 on Amazon), but I was not happy with the thought of buying 6 ft. replacement cables to replace the standard 3 ft. ones (at 19.99 a piece).

Is anyone out there surviving with the 3 ft cables? Seems like replacing them would be a necessity but maybe not. Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Lubbock, TX
Large BGE

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The 3 foot cables have been fine for me.
    NOLA
  • stgeorge
    stgeorge Posts: 5
    Options

Gotta love it when a manufacturer cheaps out- it really takes the smile off the face of an otherwise happy customer!

Remember though- a probe is a probe, so if you have longer ones already, they will likely work too.  I just align my platesetter so that one of its legs is pointed towards the side tray, then I run my wires out over that leg (as recommended by someone at BBQ Guru).  When you do that, the wires don't get direct heat, and the 3' length is enough to get out to the transmitter sitting right there (just enough).

LgBGE from Santa, Christmas 2012  Later upgraded to XL.

CyberQ Cloud temp control = No Worries!!

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    The 3 foot cables have been fine for me.
    Me too!

Opelika, Alabama
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

You've got a 300ft of wireless.......3ft is more than enough for the transmitter.  I have mine wire tied down to about 2-ft and it's still more than enough.

BTW, email me if you want a better deal than that on a 733.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    My 3' cables are more than enough.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I had the 6' cable, gone back to the 3' - tired of having the damn things tangle in the storage box. 
    +1 with @stlcharcoal, mine are tied to about 18" length. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited July 2014
    Options
    the 3' work just fine for me. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel like the cables on my current cheap-o from Lowes are over 3' but maybe they aren't. My egg setup is pretty spartan -- it consists putting a folding table next to the egg when I need work space. I'll try to give it a run with the standard cables for sure. I can always scoot the table closer. 
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks to you wpendlegg for your post as I just purchased a ET-733 from Stlcharcoal and saved money to boot!  I had no idea Saint Louis Charcoal sold ET-733s much less at a great price and service.  It was mailed today which is great since it was after 3 pm when I ordered it.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I'm still using the old ET-73 and those cables (original) are only 2 feet!  Plenty long for me as the unit sits right next to the egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I think you are fine with 3 feet. If they do break then get the longer ones. The ET-733 is a great unit so enjoy.
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You have a couple of routes if replacements are a concern.  Cotronincs.com has a tape that is essentially heat resistant tubing or you can order replacement cable and re-usable stereo connectors.  I prefer the latter since I'm a big DIY'er.  If there is an interest I can do a write-up or instruction checklist on it.

But, FWIW, I've used my probes overnight and a decent few long cooks with no sign of failure in the future.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    3 footers are good. You just need a small table next to the egg.
    Dave - Austin, TX