Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you for the help! Nailed my first brisket.

I wanted an egg for at least a decade. Finally made it happen and then spent a month lurking and learning. The knowledge shared on this site is amazing! Thank you.

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Looks like you nailed it, I would eat that entire pan of burnt ends. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Thank you. Those burnt ends were the best thing I've ever made. By far. I also made 'melting garlic' for them that I would definitely recommend.
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Agree, I could put a hurtin on those ends.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I do love brisket.  But those burnt ends would come up missing around me.   Tell us about your cook.  Temp, how long, what rub, foil, no foil, FTC how long, details man...details.  Great looking cook. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • mrw123
    It was a little over 12 pounds. I trimmed the hard fat and then rubbed it with Mickey's about an hour before it went in.

I cleaned and filled the egg with a mix of whole foods and rock wood lump. (Found a local supplier!). I've been using BGE firestarter-I break the square in two pieces and start the fire in two spots. Not sure if that is a good idea or not but seems to be working fine. Once the coals were getting going I put a few pieces of cherry and 3-4 pieces of hickory on top and let it go for probably 20-30 minutes before the heavy smoke dissipated.

At that point I put the plate setter, foil pan and grate back and closed it up. When it got up to 225 (I use the digi-q and LOVE it. It's like magic) I put the brisket in. It was about 9 at night.

I poured myself a bourbon (eagle rare 10) and stuck around to make sure everything was going well. The temp never moved from 225 so when it was time to head to bed I was confident everything would be fine.

The next morning I bumped the temp to 250 and left it alone til the IT hit 195. It took longer than expected--didn't get there until after 5pm. The first time I opened the egg was when I pulled it to FTC for 1 hour.

Then I separated the point and flat, cubed the point, brushed with the melting garlic and put it back in for another 30 minutes.

I sliced the flat (and couldn't believe the bark and ring) and tried it and almost started to sing it was so good. I may never have another this good, but I'll have a TON of fun trying.

Thanks a MILLION for all the help. I love this forum.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

What is melting garlic?

Brisket looks mighty tasty.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Welcome! And great job on the brisket!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Where do you live? Very good job on the brisket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mrw123
    Thank you!

Melting garlic is a recipe from 'serious Barbecue' Adam perry lang's book. I think there is a thread with the recipe already, but it's olive oil, garlic, salt and some herbs. I cooked the mixture in the egg for about three hours. It's awesome. I can post it if you want.

I live just north of Chicago in the suburbs. I found a shop in northfield with rockwood and was thrilled.
  • mrw123 said:
    I sliced the flat (and couldn't believe the bark and ring) and tried it and almost started to sing it was so good.
    That line made me feel like I was there trying your brisket :)) It looks amazing! great job!

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• R3K
    R3K Posts: 52

Great job!  That looks absolutely amazing!!!  I've been struggling a bit with my briskets but I'm getting closer.  Might have to try your process as well to see if I have the same success.

• mrw123
    I actually started my second brisket last night around 9-9:30. This one is a little bigger and I used oak instead of hickory. Other than that, everything was the same. (Except I forgot to put a foil pan on the plate setter)

This one hit an IT of 195 a full five hours earlier than the last one. I pulled it at noon and it's resting now. Looks good, hope it turns out like the last one.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited July 2014

Great start out of the gate!  Congrats on the cook. And thanks for the write-up.

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very nice!

The melting garlic sounds really good. Do you just mix it all up and smoke it for 3 hours? Something like a garlic "confit"?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mrw123
    Number two is also a winner! I don't know if it's beginners luck, but if they all turn out this good I'll need a new wardrobe with all elastic waistbands.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    When you have your choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time!  Most eggcellent!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @mrw123‌
    Looks like a winner to me! Excellent job my friend! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96

Please post your Melting Garlic recipe.

Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited July 2014
    Melting Garlic Recipe as was posted in this forum:

You take about 5 bulbs of garlic and peel the cloves, put them in a baking dish with EVOO, kosher salt and a few sprigs of rosemary and cook in the smoker for 3 hours. They almost fall apart into liquid when they're done, and i couldn't believe how much of the oil the garlic soaks up."

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • mrw123
    fljoemon said:

Melting Garlic Recipe as was posted in this forum:

You take about 5 bulbs of garlic and peel the cloves, put them in a baking dish with EVOO, kosher salt and a few sprigs of rosemary and cook in the smoker for 3 hours. They almost fall apart into liquid when they're done, and i couldn't believe how much of the oil the garlic soaks up."

Thank you for posting that! First, I love the book and would recommend it. It's great to read and the few recipes I've tried have been great.

For the recipe: 2T kosher salt, 3 cups evoo, 2 cups peeled garlic cloves (4-5 heads), 1 sprig rosemary, 1 tsp crushed hot red pepper flakes.

It is fantastic. That is also a LOT of melting garlic. you can definitely make less and you'll still have plenty.