Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bruce's Hard Lemonade (Easy!)

We mentioned this hard lemonade to several of you at the Salado Fest, and a few of you wanted the recipe.  It's nothing fancy, but it's a great all-day sipping kind of drink for an Eggfest or during a low and slow cook.  

The way the idea came about was when Bruce's mother was living, we'd have her over for dinner or holidays.  She was a non-drinker with a 'tude about those that did.  She never ever drank.  When we'd have her over, I told Bruce we need to get some alcohol into our systems for some added patience.  He came up with the hard lemonade.  We'd have two pitchers in fridge....one for kids and Alice Faye, and one for US ;)  The only problem would be when I'd get mixed up and drink out of the "wrong" pitcher and tell Bruce "it's NOT WORKING!!"

Here's how you make it:  In a 2.5 qt pitcher add 1 1/2 - 2  cups of gin, 1.5 pitcher size packets of Crystal Light lemonade powder and fill the rest of the pitcher with water. Adjust to your liking :)
Kelley 
Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Forget the Crystal Light and use grilled lemons to make it. Dip the lemon halves in sugar before grilling, then make lemonade, using a simple sugar with honey (1/2 cup each water, sugar, honey - heat until sugar dissolves then cool) for sweetener. A dozen lemons makes a good 3 quarts of grilled lemonade. Garnish with a Rosemary sprig. This is a recipe from Kingsford, which turns out great, very refreshing. And just telling everyone you made 'Grilled Lemonade' is impressive. Grill direct at 350 and watch to make sure they don't burn.
    Here are some pics
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    @Tjcoley, that sounds great.  We've had grilled lemonade at a BGE dealer's cooking school, and it was really good, but we couldn't duplicate it.  That was 3 years ago when we were new to Eggdom. We need to try again, for sure.  Thanks!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Suddenly I'm very thirsty!
    Flint, Michigan
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I know this won't work for everyone but in the summer I love to put a bottle of vodka into my 3 gal keg, fill with lemonade and add a good sized chunk of ginger.  Put it on CO2 at high pressure and enjoy hard lemonade on tap.  I often alternate between Hard Lemonade, Hard Cider and Hard Cranberry on tap.  I usually run 4 homebrews and something hard in the summer.  
    I am definitely going to try the grilled lemonade!!!
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • EggObsessed
    I know our recipe wreaks of "Taste of Home" with the simplicity of the recipe.  @gmac, we want to be your neighbor to get to try all that goodness.  You are onto something!
    Kelley 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited March 2014
    @EggObsessed I think your recipe has just about the exact amount of effort that I want in a beverage.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • EggObsessed
    @gmac, thanks so much for your comment.  I think us "serious drinkers" would agree that there's a time and a place for everything.  When you are putting so much effort into your food, sometimes you want the beverage to be EASY and THERE!
    Kelley 
  • Tjcoley
    I could make the same argument on easy and there for the cook, and spend your energy on the drink. For years my family thought ribs were made in a crock pot with Kraft BBQ sauce. As a 'serious drinker' if I want easy and there I'll drink PBR. The whole advantage to long cooks on the Egg is you have time to ramp up and enjoy the drink as well. For example, Moscow Mules are served in authentic copper mugs with fresh lime juice. Dark and Stormy's use Goslings Rum and Goslings Ginger Beer with fresh lime. Tito's is served in a large glass with ice and a slice of lime. Of which I've had a couple, so no offense meant. Keep on Egging.
    Smokinpig Posts: 739

I like beer pink lemonade

1 12oz frozen pink lemonade(minute maid or similar)

6 cold lite beers the cheaper stuff, miller, bud, etc.

6oz (or more) of vodka

Mix all together and serve.  Fast, easy and good.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• EggObsessed
    That sounds like a great warm weather drink, Smokinpig.  Sounds refreshing!
    Kelley 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    @Smokinpig, we used to make something like that in college.  We called them panty droppers.  Take a cooler and dump a handle of vodka in it.  Stir in 8-10 of the frozen lemonade (sometimes orange juice).  Fill it up with whatever keg beer we had that night.  It would make the girls (and sometimes the guys) get weird, hence the name.  :))
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Yeah it has some rough names associated. I think the panties can stay up if you fine tune the amount of vodka.  It does taste surprisingly good, never would have thought beer and pink lemonade would mix well.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I made @tjcoley Grilled Hard Lemonade for the 4th.  It was tasty but took some work and buying 20 lemons gets pricey.  The colors in the pics look great though so figured I would post . . thanks for the idea!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”