Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XXL

Been a nay sayer all along, and looked at one today.  Now sort of considering it.  Dealer offered me a price that seems quite reasonable compared to all the other chatter, but still a couple of XLs.  I was so impressed by how light the lid lifted and closed.

Anyway, doing some surfing to see what folks have to say and I have found something I did not realize.  The volume of people with opinions about BGEs who have no clue how BGEs work, cook, consume or don't consume lump is amazing.  Very opinionated experts on the subject that think big metal kettles and briquettes are the way to go abound.  Now there is no argument that the BGEs are an investment, but good grief you cannot compare results with a "grill", and this idea that bigger means you use more lump for the same minutes of cook just because you load more to fill the box is just rampant.  I have an XL, LBGE and MBGE, and I can tell you the difference between a 30 minute cook one each is fractional.   

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• sparky1
    sparky1 Posts: 23
    i also seen a xxl the other day.  it was nice.  the lid opened on closed very easy.  i liked it but the the cost of the xxl you could have 2 xl's and 1 large for the same price. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I was quoted 5k for the xxl. Pass. I would take 2 xls over 1 XL any day.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I saw a XXL for the first time the other day.  Yeah...almost 5K, I don't think so.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    So if the advantage of the XXL is more cooking surface, wouldn't it make more sense to have two larges, or two XL's so you could do two identical cooks, or two totally different cooks ( ie: one grill is doing a low and slow, while the other is doing a raised direct ). Seems to me that would be a more versatile setup, and more cost efficient. IMHO
    GWN
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Sounds like you've convinced yourself. I say you go get one and let us know how you like it.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I do not see someone looking at the xxl as a first egg by any means. I think they will sell to people with multiple eggs only as yes you can buy 3 xl for the same price and have more cooking space as the xxl.
    With that being said I DID buy a XXL. And NO I did NOT pay no where near 5000.00 for it. Again could i have bought more xl eggs sure i could have but with the XXL being my 9th egg it was a want definitely not a need. There are few people that drop 12k on a custom cooker for a competition cooker either but i did that also. I also have paid 2k just for cooking class for a weekend.
    Guess my point here is is if it's a Hobbie or a passion or heck some call it a addition and you have the means go for it i say.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Again could i have bought more xl eggs sure i could have but with the XXL being my 9th egg it was a want definitely not a need.

Yes bad, I think you have an addiction.  You must really love your hobby, LOL

Fayetteville, Ga
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    If it makes you happy, go for it Doc.  Saw a preview at Eggtoberfest last year and I thought that it was pretty cool.  You can invite your neighborhood over for some cooks!
    Milton, GA.
  • badinfluence
    Doc buy the darn thing I want someone else to have one one here as well.

@BobsBGE‌ yes i think i have a sickness...i swear i can stop anytime....well....i don't know.

The min max will make 10 eggs so my plan is to get 12 so i have a whole dozen...oh wait I'ma baker so i need 13...yeah i can stop
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    As @badinfluence‌ said, if you want one, and you have the means, then go ahead and get it! Sometimes it's a matter of want, not need. I probably don't "need" a Porsche, but would be cool to have one......
    GWN
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I cant wait to see on in person. I agree with some of the others here... if you like it and would enjoy it, then by all means get it. Heck, theres a lot of people out there that think we are all crazy for having ceramic cookers that cost at or over a grand. Especially with all of the accessories we add over time. But, its a hobby we all enjoy, which means it is worth every penny.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • badinfluence
    Nanook said:

As @badinfluence‌ said, if you want one, and you have the means, then go ahead and get it! Sometimes it's a matter of want, not need. I probably don't "need" a Porsche, but would be cool to have one......

Oh I NEED a porshe....yeah i do

Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited July 2014
    I am of the opinion that I can have a quiet conversation with SWMO and it will go like this..."You won't believe this rig and what it can do...and obviously if I do pull the plug then you will kill me and cash in on the life insurance".  That said, go for it...and yes, I did own a Porsche in a previous life...for almost 30 years.  What a machine...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @badinfluence‌
    I agree with you brother. Sometimes things are a want not a need. Absolutely nothing wrong with buying things that you want and enjoy. I have dropped a little money on wants as well. I say good for you and enjoy that great big egg! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

Nanook said:

Oh I NEED a porshe....yeah i do
    So if I see a black Boxster rolling with a mini strapped to it I'll know it's you :D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • badinfluence
    Boxer heck...911 turbo with a egg as a hood ornament. .. :D

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I would buy another XL or large before I would buy the XXL. I don't really need another one at this time though, I just don't do enough to justify another one. I do have WSM that I could use as overflow and I think if I did a lot of smoking I would buy a Marshall Good One Smoker.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776

Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - my friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends

So lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...

Generational anthem

Santa Paula, CA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    tksmoke said:

Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - my friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends

So lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...

Generational anthem

Nice Janis Joplin quote.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I say go for it... Getting needs help you live; getting wants help you have a life

:)
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    I didn't need this. But after a life of hard work and not having to look over my shoulder, financially I haven't regretted one penny.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I say if you know you want it, get it.

If you think you want it, consider what you would make or do with it that you cannot already do. If getting it won't change what you are cooking now, it may not be worth it.

Either way, your money, your decision. Be happy.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited July 2014
    Trade study - 

XXL - $4K (assume a deal), maybe a little more
    Large - $1K (with CGS, nest), maybe a little more or a little less depending.
    XL - $2K (with CGS, next), more or less.
    So, XXL = 4L = 2XL = 2L + XL, something like that.

Cons - Cost of course. From a practical perspective, an XXL would need to be used a lot and maybe for a restaurant or something, at least more than a family-feed, which is what probably most of us do with a large. Can you get anything from CGS for it? Maybe a custom order to Tom? I'd want to know that before I buy seeing as how much I use multi-racks, etc. on my large. 

Pros - Size alone? Need help with this, unless driven by a need don't see it. Bragging rights? Prestige? Can you imagine burping an XXL? S.O.B. would be heavy, seems like a table absolutely required with some form of security.

Does anybody on the forum actually have an XXL? I've not seen that someone does. If size counts then what can it do that one or more larges and one XLs can't? 

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Well I don't own one, but I saw one in use at the New Eggland Eggfest last month and they cooked a 70lb whole hog in it. I'd like to see someone try that on an XL!!
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    The size of an XXL may seem to make it ideal for restaurant or commercial use, but I do not think any size BGE would make a good commercial grill.  

The inability to load more fuel without removing everything you are cooking would make it a big pain in the ass.  And the cost per sq in of cooking surface is probably higher for BGEs than most any other cooker you might consider. 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    While I like the eggs, for the price, I would probably get an offset instead.

But then, hey, you're not me so you should do what satisfies you.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @bbqlearner‌ I would agree. For just over 1K you can get a PR-60 (not the towable model like this). I think this will be my next cooker, offset after that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I say if you want it get it. My dealer has one. I looked at it "again" on Saturday. I said again because I look at it every time I go there. 

It is just so frigging big. It is the Sasquatch of the Big Green Egg line to say the least. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • badinfluence
    @SteveWPBFL‌ yes there is at least 1 person on this forum that owns the XXL. It's me. You tried to break it all down to make sense but read the post. As i said before i really don't think someone looking for there 1st egg would even consider the xxl. I stand by my previous posts.
    If you want it buy it as of now only 1000 were made ant no one can say it they will or won't make anymore so don't be the guy saying dang wish i had one.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @badinfluence‌ haters gonna hate. Not sure I could justify the XXL. But the minimax along with my LBGE is a whole different story. The XXL is a beast for sure. But, when you have the whole collection and some with duplicates the XXL fits nicely. Hell why not. Now I wanna see that bad Mamajamma in action :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL