Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood table temp question (has anyone ever checked the temp of their wooden table while cooking?)

Options
I have built a wood table and put the egg in it. I am cooking pizzas as a test run (dome temp 600ish). 

The table has a 1" air gap around the egg at the felt line and is sitting on a 1 and 1/2" thick stone paver. 

I have been taking temp readings of the wood table everywhere. It's currently at 202 F in the front and the outside of the egg is 383 F. The stone paver is 240 and the wood holding it is at 183.

Should I be concerned and redo the table? I am looking at warning pictures here of what happens when it wrong and thinking I might go back to the nest with a wooden prep table a foot away . 

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Do u have a picture? My table sounds closer than that, and I've only scorched it once. I did that when I as making pizzas for the first time and I let the thermo wrap around. It was reading 300 so I can only imagine how hot it actually was. I like the table nest on a paver/tile with adequate clearance around.

I also made my tabletop removable so I can always replace it, possibly with granite some day.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Do you have an air gap under your egg before the stone paver?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I am one of the cautionary tales...I had an air gap, 2 inch concrete paver under that.  The paver cracked at some point...don't know when.  Could have been the day that it all went sideways, may have been cracked before that, but the insurance company's engineers think the cracked paver allowed the wood framing underneath to heat up and eventually ignite...

I'm not 100% sure what the right answer is for a wooden table.  My next go around will be in 6 to 8 months when the house is rebuilt and I will be going with a Challenger at that time.