Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party Q is Rollin !

Options
Got my new party q installed and got it dialed in at 250*. Had to play with it a little bit to get temp settled in. Been holding 250* for about 4 hours so far. Seems like it's gonna be a must for overnighters.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @JRWesco‌
    Congratulations on the Party Q. Hope you enjoy it my friend. Been toying with the idea of getting a controller myself.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Got the same. Used it once for a Butt. Very happy with it.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Want!
    Jacksonville FL
  • tinee2001
    tinee2001 Posts: 19
    Options
    @JRWesco‌ any advice on how you got the temp to 'settle in' ? Just got a party Q and fixing to fire it up for the first time in a couple of hours....
  • JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    Options
    Don't over shoot your temp buy building a big fire in the egg to start out with . Only need about baseball size fire, then start out at a lower temp than your target and bump it up slowly till you reach your goal temp so you don't get it to hot. Have only used it twice so I'm still getting the hang of it. And keep the lid closed unless you have to open. Party q doesn't have a open lid dectector so fan will try and catch up to grid temp when open making fire larger than you want it. @tinee2001‌
  • JRWesco
    Options
    10.5 hours at 250* , 198* internal. Far cap down and rubbed with meat church honey hog, turned out great.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I found that settling the Egg in on your target temp manually before starting the PartyQ up is what works best for me. Say my target temp is 250 - I get the Egg to that temp and place a large chunk of cold meat in there. The probe is going to sense a lower temp at that point and cause the fan to run which will cause a larger fire than you need. I put the meat in and wait a couple of hours for the temp to settle in before I turn the Q on.

The first time I used my Q I turned it on right away when I put the meat in. The thing took off and ran almost continuously for the first 30 min and then overshot my temp. Then it say idle for over an hour waiting for the temp to drop back to target. Using my new method, it settles in much quicker. I also charred the crap out of the bottom of my butt that time due to the raging fire it created,

Also - try to clip the probe over the platesetter somewhere. Do not place it over coals.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'm 6 cooks in with digital q . I light in one spot and close all setup placing all gear in the egg (stones grates etc).
    To speed it up maybe open the top a bit but as it approaches dial it in to a slight crack.
    Seattle, WA
  • JRWesco
    Options
    Thanks I will give that a try! @twlangan‌
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I run wire under daisy wheel and clip on dome thermo fwiw
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SGH said:
    @JRWesco‌ Congratulations on the Party Q. Hope you enjoy it my friend. Been toying with the idea of getting a controller myself.

Used mine twice and gave it to Travis. I'm to old to be aggravated. And this was after selling a one time used Digi Q.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.