Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I nailed it!

beemrider
beemrider Posts: 23
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I were at the market today and picked up a couple of beautifully marbled rib eye steaks from a Mennonite butcher. Asked the guy if they were dry aged. He wasn't't real sure about that reference but said they were hung as full sides for 14 days. I asked if they were bagged and he said no, just the half carcass ... So I assume that's dry aged ... But if not let's pretend it is. Anyway the plan for these beauties was to do a reverse sear using Mickey's Coffee Rub. Got me some Ancho Chiles the other day. It wasn't powder but ground ancho chiles ... I figured it was suitable. Made up the rub and used fresh ground coffee ( I'm also a coffee geek and have a grinder) ... It smelled great. Put a coffee scoop full ( notice the irony?) on each side of the steaks and put them back in the fridge for later. Meanwhile the wife was napping and when she got up and looked at the two steaks she declared that that was way too much meat for both of us so I dutifully said "yes Dear" and put one back in the fridge ( good call on her part!) It was dinner time so I set the egg up for indirect cooking, stabilized it at 225-250 with hickory chips and put the meat on. Monitored IT using a Thermoworks device. Pulled the steak off at just under 115 and set it aside while I opened 'er up. At 750 I put my corn on the grill ( the wife prefers it boiled ... Heresy, I know) as well as a foil package of late season asparagus. Once they got a head start I put the steak back on ... About 60 seconds per side to bring the IT up to 125. I have to say that the results were spectacular. The wife declared that I would live to grill another day, adding that it was the best steak I'd ever made. The coffee rub was outstanding. It was THERE without being overpowering. As we plated the meal, Springsteen was coming onto the iPod/Bose rotation ... Perfect. Enjoy the pics. imageimageimageimageimage

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

"You should see what I've seen with your eyes" - Roy Batty, Bladerunner

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I think you did too!! Strong lookin cook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    @beemrider‌ Yes Sir! Very nice :-bd
    And I can imagine the Cabernet Sauvignon went well with it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • beemrider
    @beemrider‌ Yes Sir! Very nice :-bd And I can imagine the Cabernet Sauvignon went well with it.

Yeah. Too bad my wife didn't feel like sharing it. I was forced to drink it all myself. McManis makes a great Cab Sauv. Couldn't let it oxidize after all!

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @beemrider‌ I really and truly fell in love with wine in Sicily. It's a meal changer for sure. Thankfully my wife shares this with me. I think we still have some bottles from back in '98 when we were deployed there. Excellent cook!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • beemrider
    @beemrider‌ I think we still have some bottles from back in '98 when we were deployed there.

I buy wine , I drink wine. I think I'm too old to have the patience to age wine. Haha. Those bottles are 16 years old ... You should get after those puppies!

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Welcome aboard and great cook.  Enjoyed the cook summary-you have a hall pass for quite some time.  Strong intro-and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @beemrider. Luscious looking cook. Sorry about Sprinsteen (can't stand him). Great pix too..
    I used to collect wine but at 65 I've stopped collecting and am purely a consumer now. I'm doing pretty well too - down from 3500 to 550 bottles. I had to throw bunches away as I don't have a proper cellar any more and lots of California whits didn't hold up. Oh well…life's too short to worry about that stuff any more.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• beemrider
    @beemrider. Luscious looking cook. Sorry about Sprinsteen (can't stand him). Great pix too..
    I used to collect wine but at 65 I've stopped collecting and am purely a consumer now. I'm doing pretty well too - down from 3500 to 550 bottles. I had to throw bunches away as I don't have a proper cellar any more and lots of California whits didn't hold up. Oh well…life's too short to worry about that stuff any more.

I hear ya about the cellar. I'm gonna be 62 this year and would rather drink it than collect it. That said my wife and I like to go to Niagara a couple of times a year and taste wines and pick up the ones that aren't,t locally available because of low volumes. Lotsa fun. Ontario's whites are as good as anything produced elsewhere. The reds however are decent but have a hard time competing with mid-priced wines from Italy, Argentina, California or Australia. Still, it's fun to search.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• HDumptyEsq
    @beemrider. Eizwein - nice wine.
     Do you and your wife ride together? I have a friend in the UP of Michigan who rides a BMW. He came on our Harley rides and went all over the US.
    His charming wife was like a limpet. They stuck together everywhere.
    Bike riders tend to be castigated but there are more good souls in that community than one normally imagines.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• beemrider
    @beemrider. Eizwein - nice wine.
     Do you and your wife ride together?

We do indeed.  Last year we took a 13 day tour to the Maritimes.  Took a couple of days to cross NY and northern Mass. then up the eastern seaboard til we crossed back into Canada.  Did New Brunswick, Charlottetown PEI and the Cabot Trail, a couple of days in Halifax, Peggy's Cove.  The whole thing.  It was this time last year ... glad we didn't have the weather they're having now!

Year before we did the circle tour of Lake Superior.  Spent a couple of days in Duluth ... love that town.  The north shore is spectacular.  Came back around Georgian Bay rather than crossing on the ferry from Manitoulin Island.  When we left weather was 31, 32 HOT.  Last day we spent in Sudbury and got up and it was only +2.  We froze since we weren't geared up for cold weather.  That was early September.  Sheesh.  Glad the BMW has heated seats and handlebars.  Still I was shaking so bad that if I didn't have cruise control it would've been comical.

It's great fun though.  Hoping to head out for a few days in Quebec this year in the Gatineau region.

As for Ice Wine, the Niagara Region has some of the best in the world.  We have more than a few bottles in our cellar.  Won't share it with just anyone however ... a lot of people just don't get it and think its all sugar.  Don't want to waste an $80 350 ml bottle on someone who'd rather drink Bud Light  ... if you know what I mean.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Fantastic meal. I wish I knew where you live. I'd be there in a heartbeat for eats like that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Nice and welcome. I look forward to seeing and hearing about your future cooks.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice cook. So glad you enjoyed the rub. Now try it on pork and chicken/turkey. Your pictures made me think of something. Is this a north/south thing? The slicing of steak to serve. It was never done in my house or neighbors (I was raised in Texas and Germany (( army brat))). I see it on some cooking shows??? Just wondering. Sir you had a very nice cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HDumptyEsq
    @beemrider. I sold my bike after some surgeries but it took me all over this country.
    Keep the shiny side up and these cooks coming.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    very nice!!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• beemrider
    Mickey said:
    Very nice cook. So glad you enjoyed the rub. Now try it on pork and chicken/turkey. Your pictures made me think of something. Is this a north/south thing? The slicing of steak to serve. It was never done in my house or neighbors (I was raised in Texas and Germany (( army brat))). I see it on some cooking shows??? Just wondering. Sir you had a very nice cook.
    Thanks Mickey.  Not sure if it's a North South thing.  In our case my wife and I just don't eat that much volume of food anymore so once we took a look at the 2 steaks we'd bought we put one back in the fridge  (for today! ... gettin' a twofer!)  Also, slicing it gives a great presentation.  My wife and I believe you start the meal with your eyes.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• beemrider
    @beemrider. I sold my bike after some surgeries but it took me all over this country.
    Keep the shiny side up and these cooks coming.
    I see you're in a suburb of Nashville ... I guess that puts you an hour or so east of Deal's Gap and the Tail of the Dragon.  I've always wanted to do that trip.  It's a magnet for motorcycles.  Need to do it before I get too old.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• beemrider
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments.  A community like this certainly adds an extra dimension of fun.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    That there is my kind of meal!   =D>
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • HDumptyEsq
    edited July 2014
    @beemrider. I've done it four times on my old Softail Classic. It's a lot of work on an old HD but an amazing ride. It would be great fun on a BMW.
    The countryside around there is breathtaking - both ends of Deal's Gap and there are a ton of great little Q joints. Try it in the fall and go 'leaf-peeping'.
    Let's see, what's the expression? Tail of the Dragon - 113 bends in 8 miles, Florida 8 bends in 113 miles
    :))

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Very nice meal and cooked to perfection!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Nice cook - Welcome aboard.  Enjoy the ride.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • I live 35 minutes from the Dragon, 318 curves in 11 miles is insane! If you've never been, you need to go at least once.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• beemrider
    I live 35 minutes from the Dragon, 318 curves in 11 miles is insane! If you've never been, you need to go at least once.

It's on my to do list.  Maybe I'll be able to swing it sometime this year.  Wife and I going to Quebec in August but maybe I can shake my brotherinlaw loose from work in September for the Dragon.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Looks perfectly done. Awesome job.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @beemrider‌
    I concur sir. You definitely nailed it. No question of it. And welcome aboard my friend. Excellent cook.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Mighty fine looking meal, Sir! :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings