Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

When do you need to put more charcoal into the BGE  i have a medium and have used it three times each time i have let it get up to 350 
Trenton ON 1 mbge for now

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Had my large BGE 7 years, and still going strong on my first load of lump.  I've heard tell of folks making it 10-15 years...
    Oh my......  :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

Had my large BGE 7 years, and still going strong on my first load of lump.  I've heard tell of folks making it 10-15 years...

Yep! That's the Willy Wonka Everlasting Lump :))

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • susanshaw
    susanshaw Posts: 18
    What am I doing wrong then? I've grilled maybe six or eight times and am on my second bag. In the tutorials, they tell you to add more each time to get up to the line of the fire box, so I stir around what's in there and then dump in more. Is that not right?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @susanshaw‌ they're just yanking your chain. Depending on the temps in which you're cooking will determine lump consumption.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    That sounds about right, what kind of lump are you using?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Susan. ..you're fine.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    I want a bucket of that lump and some "Gilligan's Island" radio batteries.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• susanshaw
    Oh thank goodness - I thought some people were rather overblown with their statements :) I'm using the Royal Oak 100% all natural HLC in the red bag. Got very high reviews on several sites.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    OK to top up the lump in the fire box, but don't forget to rake some ash from below the fire grate and on the outside of the fire box......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    @susanshaw‌ ...lose the royal oak. It's not any good.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2014
    henapple said:
    @susanshaw‌ ...lose the royal oak. It's not any good.

8-|

Susan:

Ignore the troublemakers.  Royal Oak is a fine, fine lump. 

Independent studies have yielded empiric data illustrating that RO increases antioxidant content in pork chops, effectively combats gingivitis, and - as a bonus - repels raccoons.

What more could you want?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• henapple
    @susanshaw‌. ..I'll deliver some Ozark Oak or Rockwood. No comparison.
  • susanshaw
    Another question along the same lines - the video on the BGE site says to fill the fire box up to the top before each grilling event. Why would I do that, rather, than burn all of what's there until I don't have enough fresh anymore to do the next round?
  • susanshaw
    And most of what I've seen in the stores around here is the Cowboy brand, which gets low grades, so I was glad to find the RO.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You don't need to add more charcoal if there's enough in the egg to cook whatever it is you're cooking.  You want to use it up every bag or so to clean out the ash throroughly.
    Depending on what you are cooking, I just cooked pork chops tonight and did not add any new lump. I stirred around what was left from the last cook, lit it got it up to 500 degrees cooked for 10 minuets and there is still lump left. Rockwood...........BOOM!  
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have recently acquired a bag of OO, bag of Rockwood and 6 bags of RO.  Never used any of them before.  I'll try them after I finish up the last couple of bags of B&B.   I suspect the clouds will part and angels with trumpets will start trumpeting and an invisible boys choir will start singing halleluiah.
    @nolaegghead-you need to get out more... :)>-
    And discussing charcoal around here is like taking on religion (or worse).  In the end-game you can usually make any charcoal work as long as you wait for the standard parameter of "good smelling smoke" and are mindful of each brands's unique characteristics.  
    What follows is a link that has great lump and all things ceramic info:  
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • susanshaw
    Thanks Lousubcap. That's one of the sites I've seen before - lots of good stuf there for sure! I am LOVING my new grill, definitely cooked out more in the past week or two than I did all last season. Everything comes out so good! Did stuffed burgers tonight, steak fajitas last night. Yum!