Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tired of crummy remote-read thermometers

My Maverick ET-732 probes are starting to die, and I have always treated them pretty well. Even the BBQ probe, which never gets wet, started to flake out on me this weekend. 

Can anyone recommend a similar product that is more robust? Temperature alarms for both the food and fire are very handy and I don't want to do without them. 

(I do not yet have something like a Cyber Q in part because I am worried about the temperature probes being no more rugged than the Maverick versions. Am I off base there?)

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    What temps are you using the probes in as far as pit temp? I know the Stoker probes wires are good up to a lil above 400℉. However they recommend shielding from direct IR heat with say the PS leg etc. I personally only use mine on L&S and the rest I use a Thermapen to check IT. But, I guess you could use the Stoker for anything 400℉ & lower if you so desired.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I only ever use the remote read ET-732 for low & slow, indirect cooking. The pit temperature never gets above 300F and I always shield the wires by running them over a platesetter leg so they are never exposed to the fuel directly. That's why the pit probe crapping out is so frustrating!
  • NPHuskerFL
    @horseflesh‌ I'm not in the ET-732 camp only the Stoker. Have you contacted tech or customer support for a possible positive resolution to your problem? If not call them on Monday during normal business hours. Hopefully they can resolve this. FWIW it sounds as though this is a premature failure with use being well within design specs.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    The Mav probes are thermistor vs thermocouple on Stoker and BBQ Guru. I haven't found remote thermo similar to Mav that uses thermocouples. Will be watching this.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    I am looking for a thermometer that reads food and pit as well. I will be interested to see this thread develop. I cooked ribs yesterday with the BGE stock thermometer and I am not sure I believe what it says all the time.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • NPHuskerFL
    Agree @DMW‌ now please explain to those who don't understand what the benefit is on the thermocouple vs thermister. ;)
    It has a lot to do with the quality of materials in the shielding of the wires and the silicone boot to the food/pit probe. In fact after speaking to tech support at Rocks BBQ he advised there is no reason to shield with foil and in fact it could cause more harm than good (simply keep from direct IR).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • horseflesh
    I have had the thing for over a year so I figured I'd be out of luck on the warranty, though it doesn't hurt to make sure. 

I wish Thermoworks would make an industrial-grade remote-read thermometer. I see they have a Bluetooth one but the review I found said that the remote part of the feature set was pretty crappy, with a very short range. 

Some enterprising hardware hacker needs to make a converter box so we can use Thermoworks probes with the Maverick transmitter... 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

The FlameBoss temp controller has some pretty heavy duty thermocouples.  Larger diameter shielding than I've ever seen on anything else.

Also, the new Mav 733 has better shielding on the probes--they're the hybrid probes the go in the grill or in the meat.

Either way, the probes are eventually going to go bad.  I don't know if I'd rather have cheap ones with a spare set knowing they're going to fail, or expensive thermocouple that I'm going to cry when I have to buy replacements.

• mstang1988
    mstang1988 Posts: 14
    Check out the heatermeter DIY project.  They are using maverick probes but are now building a circuit for a direct thermocouple with a buttersworth filter.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    @stlcharcoal‌ how much are the probes you'd cry for? $35-$47 depending on length seems reasonable on the Stoker probes. Thus far I've been pleased with its performance. Agree though everything has a "shelf life". Use it and enjoy it. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Hey wanna really start a complaint session? How many have taken the time to properly prep and install an OEM gasket only to have it destroyed by the first few pizza cooks or sears? At least probe replacement isn't a PITA. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • horseflesh
    The FlameBoss is pretty nice looking but holy smokes, it is close to the price of the Stoker and doesn't have the wireless features. 

Heatermeter is very cool but I need to be retired before I have time for another unfinished project. ;)

The 733 looks like an upgrade, but I am disinclined to throw more money at Maverick at this time. 

If I got a Stoker or Cyber Q I'd miss having a simple temperature reading and beeping alarm in my pocket, but I also, presumably, would not have to worry about the pit temperature which would eliminate a lot of what the alarm is needed for in the first place. 
  • DMW
    @NPHuskerFL an explanation on thermistors vs thermocouples from me will need to wait at least a day... :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    @DMW‌ to many refreshments? :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @horseflesh‌ plus the Stoker is very expandable. And the WiFi works without a hitch. My egg is about 300+ ft away from our router with no issue. Plus there are other ways to connect. See their web site and YouTube references. It's an Eggcellent product.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've also given up on the 732, one of the probes in the last replacement pair I got was DOA, then after swapping them I realized the circuit inside the 732 itself is shot; I'm not sending more money to Maverick any more either.
    I'm about to spring for the ThermoWorks TW8060.  It doesn't have wireless capability but does feature "settable High and Low audible alarms", and since my grilling area is just outside my bedroom window, I'm hoping the "High" is loud enough to wake me up.  
    Will be watching this thread for any other possibilities...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• DMW

@DMW‌ to many refreshments? :))

Hmm...maybe...:)) getting ready to go Rambo on the pig.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have 73 that is 4yrs old and replaced the probes one time with these.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_1_7?k=et+732+replacement+probe&sprefix=et+732+
    Been running 3yrs strong on the replacements. I bought the 733 1 1/2yrs ago and it has been fine.
    Pretty much have gone wireless except got briskies or chuckies so they don't see as much action as they used to.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127

I have a BBQ Guru and love it. I also have a chefs alarm from Thermoworks witch is a commerical grade themometer.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    I got this cheap ass probe from publix that has done a great job. Yah, I cant monitor the temps but I know the times and it gives me an accurate temp. When I stick in a brisket and it it sooooo smooth..i know
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2014
    @stlcharcoal‌ how much are the probes you'd cry for? $35-$47 depending on length seems reasonable on the Stoker probes.
    I'm too used to paying dealer prices for things........  :-O
    The FlameBoss is pretty nice looking but holy smokes, it is close to the price of the Stoker and doesn't have the wireless features. 

Not wireless, but it's very user friendly (which is more than I can say for the wireless ones.)  Don't get turned off by the MSRP price--email me.

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    MaC122 said:
    I got this cheap ass probe from publix that has done a great job. 
    Most folks on this forum use meat probes, but I don't judge...
    Mamaroneck
  • NPHuskerFL
    @stlcharcoal‌ are you saying the Stoker is difficult to setup &/or use? To me it's very user friendly. I've used with and without connectivity. I prefer connectivity to my smart phone or PC. I'm NOT trying to sell a product here. But, I'm also not trying to bash another company's product either. I don't own a Flame Boss, DigiQ, CyberQ, etc so it would be unfair for me to comment on a product I don't use. I like my Stoker and find it to be a quality made product and like the fact when I've had questions I've received great response from Rock's Bar-B-Que.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • mstang1988
    mstang1988 Posts: 14

Heatermeter is very cool but I need to be retired before I have time for another unfinished project. ;)

The 733 looks like an upgrade, but I am disinclined to throw more money at Maverick at this time. 

If I got a Stoker or Cyber Q I'd miss having a simple temperature reading and beeping alarm in my pocket, but I also, presumably, would not have to worry about the pit temperature which would eliminate a lot of what the alarm is needed for in the first place. 
    I built my heatermeter in a day.  Pretty easy.  I had somebody print me off the roto damper as well and it's pretty wonder.  The dev, Bryan, dev's in on a BGE as well.  
  • horseflesh
    beteez said:
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html  Thermocouples read on your phone/tablet
    There's a review here which is pretty unfavorable:

I may yet do the Heatermeter, I just have too many hobbies demanding my workbench time already. 
  • DMW
    The issue with Bluetooth for me is the range. It would reach from my egg to my couch, but not up to my bed. 

Also, I kind of like the single purpose function of something like the Mav. In fact the Mav would be perfect for me if the probes were slightly better built. 

I did replace the stock pit probe that failed with a 6' dual purpose probe that does seem to be of a bit better construction. Someone suggested a dab of RTV sealant at the top of the probe where the cable connects, might need to try that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    @DMW‌ the Bluetooth range would &/or could be an issue. However, using Stoker WiFi I find even at approx 300' + away from the router I'm fine. Obviously I really like the Stoker. Biggest obstacle I've had is security of network. My wife is an analyst for a company and occasionally works from home so security is beefed up a bit. But, even with that (after wife's help) it has worked seamlessly. They've made a great product IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    @NPHuskerFL No question, Stoker is quality kit, if you also want a controller. I purchased the Maverick first, then added the Party Q to my arsenal later. The combo works fine, but if I had planned ahead I think I would have skipped both and just went with the Stoker.

Question on the Stoker, can you use it just to monitor temps, without using the fan to control the cooker? I use my Maverick to monitor other temps (oven, pig roaster, etc) from time to time and having that option is useful.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    DMW said:

Also, I kind of like the single purpose function of something like the Mav. In fact the Mav would be perfect for me if the probes were slightly better built. 

Exactly. If I could get the remote functionality of the Maverick with the reliability of a Thermoworks 8060, I'd buy two. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!