Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Brisket and Murphy's Law

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
So I got up at 4 AM today to get the BGE XL started and start prepping the 9 LB Brisket. I have been using my Digi Q DX for about 2 years now and have finallyI mastered the art of starting the fire and ramping up the temperature. I was ready to graduate from Ribs and Butts to my ulltimate goal, smoking a brisket. Until, I discovered that my grill probe was no longer working. I am now using the meat probe hanging in from the daisy wheel to keep the temp at 250 dome. When I tried the placing the meat probe directly on the grid the temperature started to spike. I ended up placing the brisket on the egg one hour later than planned. It just goes to show the importance of having backup. I will be ordering two new probe replacements for that reason. At least I have my Thermapen handy to check the meat temp.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @dstearn‌
    When it rains it pours my friend. That's the way it goes sometimes. Don't fret it though. Keep on cooking and good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dstearn
    Thanks, I repositioned the meat probe back on the grill now that the egg has stabilzed, It is at 250 grid temp, Looks like the wires on the pit probe broke off.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    A couple of key indicators with brisket for me (now when you are really good than the whole cook is by feel...) is the calibrated dome temp (or calibrated whatever temp you use to monitor the BGE) and then the "finish-line feel".  That's the "probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance and finished indicator".  The point will run hotter than the flat (unless an aberration and there have been a few of those recently) by around 10-15*F but no worries as the higher fat content leads to the best brisket eats.  Enjoy the ride and the eats that await-and slice against the grain and only when ready to eat as it can "dry out before your eyes".  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    4 threads for one cook. I guess it worked cause you've caught my attention. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dstearn
    lousubcap said:
    A couple of key indicators with brisket for me (now when you are really good than the whole cook is by feel...) is the calibrated dome temp (or calibrated whatever temp you use to monitor the BGE) and then the "finish-line feel".  That's the "probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance and finished indicator".  The point will run hotter than the flat (unless an aberration and there have been a few of those recently) by around 10-15*F but no worries as the higher fat content leads to the best brisket eats.  Enjoy the ride and the eats that await-and slice against the grain and only when ready to eat as it can "dry out before your eyes".  FWIW-

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate the advice. When I was trimming the brisket, I noticed that it was well marbled and cut a notch off one end so that I can cut against the grain. This forum is a vast library of knowledge and I really appreciate the advice.
  • dstearn
    cazzy said:

I think I am suffering from BCD (Brisket Compulsive Disorder) :-)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    dstearn said:
    cazzy said:

Nah...you tend to overthink the crap out of stuff early on.  Once you get a few under your belt, you'll wonder why the hell you worried so much.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    cazzy said:
    dstearn said:
    cazzy said:

Nah...you tend to overthink the crap out of stuff early on.  Once you get a few under your belt, you'll wonder why the hell you worried so much.  
    @Cazzy is exactly right. For me, the first few were very mediocre at best - mostly due to me messing with things too much. I also started to buy better cuts of meat. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Murphy visits me quite often...that Irish prick
  • dstearn
    Thanks to everyone that responded on this thread. Last weekend I cooked a decent brisket. I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders now. The thing I learned was to trust the egg and be patient. No need for injections, fancy rubs or wrapping (except for FTC). For my next brisket cook I will attempt to seperate the point prior to FTCing the flat and fixing the burnt ends.