Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru

Options
eggintry
eggintry Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
So i bought a BBQ GURU today for my 4th cookout and i'm having some issues. Ive searched the forums and still didint find an answer. With the leads going in through the side of the egg my tempature just kept rising waaay past 225 and up to 250 i closed the damper on top but still stayed at 250. is there a better way to run the leads into the BGE?

Comments

• eggintry
    Options
    now its at 252 wth
  • eggintry
    Options
    Here is how i have the leads running  into the egg
  • JamesM
    JamesM Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi. I run my BGE at 230 for L&S with my Guru. My experience is how you light the charcoal is key to L&S temp control. Just light at top of charcoal in 2 places max. Catch the temperature on the way up at around 180 and close down the vents on the top and the Guru to 1/8th inch. I've found it will hold at low temp without any issues. I have not found the leads causing any significant leakage. Hope this helps
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    It would really be nice if BGE would include a cable hole as part of the manufacturing process.

Just my $.02
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• eggintry
    Options
    Yeah i just lite it as normal and forgot about the slide on the guru oh well. Lucky i'm cooking a butt for my first try with the guru so 250 shouldnt be to bad thanks for all the help
  • eggintry
    edited July 2014
    Options
    and now the temperature lead fell off my guru wtf. Anyone else had these problems?

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Did 2 butts Wed night at and they were at about 260 grid for most of the 12+ hour cook... came out fine.

Take that silly thing off the egg and let it do what's its designed to... get your temps stable, put the meat in and then leave it alone, don't chase the temps after the meat goes on and the temp drops for a little bit

And then in a few hours at a more respectable time, crack open a beer and be happy
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    hapster said:

Did 2 butts Wed night at and they were at about 260 grid for most of the 12+ hour cook... came out fine.

Take that silly thing off the egg and let it do what's its designed to... get your temps stable, put the meat in and then leave it alone, don't chase the temps after the meat goes on and the temp drops for a little bit

And then in a few hours at a more respectable time, crack open a beer and be happy

Could not agree more. What did people ever do without electronics?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • eggintry
    Options
    even with the alligator clip calling off i finally got the temps where they needed to be and man now it works like a dream i'll just be sure to do what JamesM said and change up how i lite my egg
  • eggintry
    Options
    for those saying not to use it. Ive done many pork butts and ribs with out it and they turned out great. I wanted a guru to try it and for a peace of mind for this over night cook. And I've lived most of my 36+ years without electronics there badinfluence. But i also happen to be a guy who likes gadgets and electronics but i can cook, read, or do what ever without them.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Guru owner here....I used the egg for a yr just fine without it but love the guru.
    Learn it and love it. I'm at the beach 30 mins away brisket locked in at 235.

The line has been drawn in the sand ... \:D/

I think your fire got away from you it may come back down in time as the fan won't blow and all air will almost be cut off.
    Seattle, WA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I sense panic. Just relax and cook.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    I was told by the bbq tech support to barely open the top vent and put the vent on the fan to 1/3rd open. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    With all fan type controllers, the ideal is to set the vents in such a way that the fire is starved for air and maintains under the desired temperature with no assist.  The fan will then kick on/off as needed to hold the temp at set point.  On my Flame Boss, the fan is on continuously and ramps fan speed up or down as needed but the principle is basically the same.  I have run with the upper vent closed  completely on the daisy wheel as it is not an air tight seal.  I recently purchased a Smokeware cap and will have to see how that works as there is a gasket that may affect the air flow with the controller.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I use the smokeware with the digi q and follow what I've read, about a toothpick gap opening. A bit more when ramping up to temp if i want to speed it up but just a small gap and if I up the desired temp I will open it more to assist the fan in not working so much.
    Ex: (Go from 225-275) ill go ahead and adjust the top a bit.
    Not sure its needed just has worked for me.
    Seattle, WA
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    check the choke on the fan I bet it's more than half open. You want to set it at 1/3 or less, barely open the top and make sure the bottom vent is shut so no air leaks around the guru