Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Spares cut down to St. Louis Question

Options
Everything trimmed and fire started. Just need a recommended temp and estimated time. Thanks for any help. First time to turbo!
Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup

Comments

• Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    350 for 3hrs or pass the bend test
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I use my foil covered plate setter with feet up. At 350 my SL spare ribs typically are done in about 2 hrs 20 minutes
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    350 indirect, bone side down, for 1 hour.  Turn them over and check (bend test) 45 minutes later.  Meaty ribs will take a little longer.  Sauce if desired.  Mist if desired.  Doesn't get any simpler. 
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP
    Options
    revolver1 said:
    350 indirect, bone side down, for 1 hour.  Turn them over and check (bend test) 45 minutes later.  Meaty ribs will take a little longer.  Sauce if desired.  Mist if desired.  Doesn't get any simpler. 
    me too about the 1 hour flip - I just forgot to add that!
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Ok. Going 350 and will flip at 1 hour. Also using a drip pan raised with the ceramic feet.image
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited July 2014
    Options

I cook them bone side down at 350 indirect for 1:45.  No flipping.  No foiling, no liquid in the drip pan, no nothing.  Keep it simple - sauce at 1:45 for 15 - 20 minutes.  Use the bend test to make sure they are done.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table. @&@&&@& note y
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    @RRP. Question for ya. Just curious as to why you flip. I haven't tried that yet, but not opposed to it.....
    GWN
  • nealcr1
    Options
    Should there be a time difference between baby backs and spare ribs.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    nealcr1 said:
    Should there be a time difference between baby backs and spare ribs.

I am guessing yes. Always done BB's and today doing St Louis spares. Will be able to say in 100 min's
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    Options
    Nanook said:
    @RRP. Question for ya. Just curious as to why you flip. I haven't tried that yet, but not opposed to it.....
    Simply because I start them bone side down. Once I just left them that way and while the meat got cooked they were awful looking since the bone side nearly separated since there is so little meat and it got dried and burnt. Again like the saying goes ask 50 people how to cook ribs and get 50 answers! LOL
  • nealcr1
    Options
    Hey. Since I have two racks I wil flip one and leave one alone.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    With spares, I'm done at about 2:00.  Sauce at 1:45, done at 2:00-2:05.  Done at 1:45 w/BBs.
    Santa Paula, CA