Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbecue sauce

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
I'm looking for a sweet barbecue sauce like a sweet baby rays but better. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    We like Blues Hog here.  BH Original is a sweet sauce.  I do a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog original and Sonny's Sweet sauce.  Everyone that I have served my Q to seems to love that sauce.  When I want something a little more hotter, I do a Blues Hog Original / Blues Hog TN. Red mix.  We also like the sauces made by Uncle Kenny's BBQ. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Blues hog here also
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    Mark0525.....do you live in the Oakland area?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    How do you mean "better?" Sweeter? More complex flavor?

Maybe start w. Ray's, and boost some of the components, maybe more pineapple juice. Some onion juice. The original doesn't have much (?any) heat, so add a dash of cayenne.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    +1 for the Adam Perry Lang sauce. Great stuff & you can tweak the recipe the way you like.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Blewis212
    Blewis212 Posts: 26
    Options
    Bone sucking sauce
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Blues Hog!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Blues Hog regular is the best sweet sauce I've had, but I don't like sweet sauces. I prefer their Smokey Mountain sauce or a 1:1 mix of their regular and the TN Red.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Smok'n Pig Sweet and Spicy's a good all-rounder.
    High Sierra (labelled Spicy) but it's not.
    Favorite is Williamson Brothers - both original and their chipotle pepper.
    But I often make my own from scratch.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    We like Blues Hog here.  BH Original is a sweet sauce.  I do a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog original and Sonny's Sweet sauce.  Everyone that I have served my Q to seems to love that sauce.  When I want something a little more hotter, I do a Blues Hog Original / Blues Hog TN. Red mix.  We also like the sauces made by Uncle Kenny's BBQ. 
    Dave .. which store carries the blues Hog? I am in Orlando, FL and have not found it at Publix/Winn Dixie/Wal*Mart/Target
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not the Butt Rub but a 50/50 On the other two.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Blues Hog or bone Sucking Sauce on ribs and chicken.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Dave .. which store carries the blues Hog? I am in Orlando, FL and have not found it at Publix/Winn Dixie/Wal*Mart/Target
    I have not found it in Florida. I either order it from FireCraft or pick up 2 or 3 cases at Food City when I go to TN each year.  With you being in Orlando, give Uncle Kenny's a try.  He is in Clermont and has some really good sauces.  My wife loves his mustard based sauce.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @fljoemon‌ you might try pettys meat market over in Longwood. Its the only place I can think of that may have it. If not they have good meat and used to have free beer on tap while you shop. Been 5 years since I have been there though but it was the best meat market I found when I lived in Orlando.
  • Blewis212
    Blewis212 Posts: 26
    Options
    In case you try to find it, it's "Bone Suckin' Sauce". My mistake.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Bone Suckin' Sauce can be found at Whole Paycheck, er, Whole Foods, but I wouldn't characterize it as a real sweet sauce.  It is good though.  I like their Hot Thick Sauce,
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I took ribs to a cul de sac party last night and every person came up asking me what sauce I used. I always use a drip pan and fill it about a third with water. When I am unfoiling the ribs I pull the drip pan and add some of the rub I used to the remaining water from the drip pan and add apple juice and apple cider vinegar and last night I added some garlic chilli paste and siracha for some heat and then I reduce it to concentrate the flavors. Its really runny so at the end I usually add some blues hog original to taste for a little sweetness and give it some consistency. By the time the ribs are done the sauce is usually ready and I got pull the plate setter and get the egg hot and mop the ribs and give them a final sear for color. I will usually flip and mop them a couple times and then that's the only sauce they get and with how runny the sauce is you can't even tell they were ever sauced by looking at them but you can taste it. I do them same thing with shoulder to make my own sauce. The drippings pick up a good smoke flavor that you can never get with a store bought sauce.