Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Controller Folks Chime In

Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,354
I don't have a guru or stroker yet, I'm a newb. So for those who do, what grid temp are you seeing with the factory dome thermometer showing 250 and stable? If this is one of those "oh no not again" questions blame it on the newb without the fancy gadgets yet. Be gentle
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @Dobie. Oh no, not again……….kidding! But sorry I can't help you. I've had my egg for three years now and haven't bought one yet. You can cook without one, you know.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Dobie
    @Dobie. Oh no, not again……….kidding! But sorry I can't help you. I've had my egg for three years now and haven't bought one yet. You can cook without one, you know.

Oh I know I'm using the force for guidance right now. Stabilizing temp at the moment for a 7.5 lb butt
    Jacksonville FL
  • Had my egg for 8 years then finally broke down and got one.... It's for sale or another open box Christmas gift for Lakewade if he gets me another SNF brisket this year
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HDumptyEsq
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  HaHaHaha.
    @Dobie. Nota bene

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    For indirect low n slow at 225 using the stoker my dome temp is usually around 250. But as the cook progresses the temps usually comes closer together.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Dobie-the "force" you will eggsperience with the BGE is quite light-weight.  That said, you are on the right path-learn to manage in the manual mode and then if so inclined move on to the controller for all the perceived benefits it offers.  And I'm in the no controller crowd as this thing will run in "auto" with a bit of effort on the front end.  (And when your controller takes a crap, good to know how to salvage the cook:))
    But at the end of the day-go with what you feel fits your cooking approach-no issues one way or the other-the bottom-line is "did you get the result you wanted with a reasonable level of effort".  FWIW-

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Current state of affairs. Why do my pics post sideways?
    Jacksonville FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sold my Guru. Bought a Party Q and gave it away. I love Turbo Egging so no need for Controller.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HDumptyEsq
    @lousubcap. Absolutely right. That's the beauty of this equipment. She can be a maid of mystery or a predictable prima donna. Vive la difference!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Dobie
    Mickey said:
    Sold my Guru. Bought a Party Q and gave it away. I love Turbo Egging so no need for Controller.

So have you abandoned slow and low ? Say it isn't so.
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2014
    For the record-@Mickey is the "Turbo Guru" and has figured out how to use that approach for about every cook eggcept the proverbial brisket.  Now, if he has cracked that code then he is keeping a very big Texas secret. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HDumptyEsq
    Dobie said:
    Don't worry. When it's clicked it goes the right way up. At least that's what my wife says!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Mickey
    lousubcap said:
    For the record-@Mickey is the "Turbo Guru" and has figured out how to use that approach for about every cook eggcept the proverbial brisket.  Now, if he has cracked that code then he is keeping a very big Texas secret. :)>-

No secret, no turbo brisket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Stoker here. On L&S Stoker will register close to dome temp whether the pit probe is clipped to the grid or the stem of the dome thermometer. Because on a L&S after awhile the grid and dome temp are nearly identical.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Ok so here is where I'm at. I shouldn't be documenting my first butt, yeah I live on the wild side.
    Jacksonville FL
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Had my egg for 8 years then finally broke down and got one.... It's for sale or another open box Christmas gift for Lakewade if he gets me another SNF brisket this year
    The SNF at Christmas is a lock. 

I agree on the controller.  I am keeping mine around for the rare situation when I am cooking something when I am away from my house, and want to be able to keep tabs on it, but that situation is very rare.  Let's face it, I like to mess with the Egg and what I am cooking, interactively, while drinking, so the whole controller phenomenon is counter-productive to me.  And I am the biggest gadget and technology freak there is.

See you on Saturday at the watermelon toss.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:
    Had my egg for 8 years then finally broke down and got one.... It's for sale or another open box Christmas gift for Lakewade if he gets me another SNF brisket this year
    The SNF at Christmas is a lock. 

I agree on the controller.  I am keeping mine around for the rare situation when I am cooking something when I am away from my house, and want to be able to keep tabs on it, but that situation is very rare.  Let's face it, I like to mess with the Egg and what I am cooking, interactively, while drinking, so the whole controller phenomenon is counter-productive to me.  And I am the biggest gadget and technology freak there is.

See you on Saturday at the watermelon toss.

I heard a rumor of a watermelon toss on Saturday. I will be there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    @lakewade and @The_Cen_Tex_Smoker-First up-how come Cen-Tex gets this friggin SRF brisket at Xmas?   :)>- Not eggspecting an answer "cuz if I had a fixed source I wouldn't share either.  
    But of more important concern is this "water melon toss of which you speak".  I believe that a forum history review would indicate that this event is "fraught with peril".  But no one got seriously injured or too (patient depending) sick.  One can only guess who will be the first to surface on Sunday-

BTW-Any walk-on-water claims require at least three independent documentations of the feat before any miracles can be dispatched!  Have great USA Birthday weekend!
  • Dobie
    OK there is some inside voodoo going on here, I will catch up,promise.
    Jacksonville FL
  • I have had my DigiQ since day one.  I have used it on important overnight cooks, and some day time cooks because I was busy with other details and just wanted a safety net.  I never clip the probe to the grid, I always clip to the dome thermo just so I am more consistent with others advice and can document my success and failure with less confusion.  Plus I find that different areas of the grid will be different temps but dome is always dome.
  • Mickey
    Dobie said:

Always inside voodoo going on here. At 26 posts you will have officially become involved.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Dobie said:

@dobie - if you are using and iPhone or iPad make sure you turn the device sideways with the home button near your right thumb. Your pics will be correct then. On your initial question you will usually see a difference of 25 - 50* dome vs grid. If you are at 250* dome it should lock in and be fine, any lower I had found it is difficult to stabilize and keep a fire. You are on the right path running "controller free" I think everyone should learn fire management before electronics. No controller here even after 8yrs.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I caved in and got the Flame Boss ... now everything is like cruise control .. boring .. but keeps accurate temps. Doing a 14.85lb Angus Brisket tomorrow for the first time .. will use the temperature crutch :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Dobie
    Mickey said:
    Dobie said:

Always inside voodoo going on here. At 26 posts you will have officially become involved.

OK don't make me break out my dolls and stick pins- just sayin....
    Jacksonville FL
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Bought my DigiQ and love it for my overnight cooks. Gives me piece of mind and let's me avoid the occasional overnight screw ups where the fire goes out. I only use for low and slow however.
    Clarendon Hills, IL