Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon!

Options
grussem
grussem Posts: 120
Hey Everyone,

I smoked some salmon the other day, it came out really good.  The whole process took about 4 days (it's really best to eat it on the 4th day after having cooled down in the refrigerator.  I experimented this time and did both a dry brine and wet brine.  Both were good but I prefer the piece of salmon that was dry brined.  I did it at 165 degrees over cherry wood chips.

If there are any questions or tips of your own please hit me up and subscribe to my channel as well!

The fillet on the left was wet brined, the one of the right was dry brined.

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I have been wanting to do some Salmon so I was really interested in this thread. I noticed you had a thermometer in one of the fillets and am wondering at what temp did you pull it off?
  • grussem
    Options
    I was going to pull it off when it got to 165 but it was about 155.  The reason being is because there was a smaller piece of salmon I placed on the grill that was not as thick as the other two.  Using the smaller piece as a "tester" and seeing it was done I decided to pull the other two pieces and they were done perfectly.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FWIW @grussem‌ another good indication on fish is right about the time you begin to see the albumin ooze (whitish liquid kinda chunky in appearance) it's done. Pulling at 155℉ IT allows for carry over cooking.

Looks great! :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Salmon! That's nasty. Trout, on the other hand, is not. And I've found that a dry brine is better and simpler than wet.
    NW IOWA
  • grussem
    Options

FWIW @grussem‌ another good indication on fish is right about the time you begin to see the albumin ooze (whitish liquid kinda chunky in appearance) it's done. Pulling at 155℉ IT allows for carry over cooking. Looks great! :-bd
    Funny you say that.....the albumin (I never knew there was a term for it prior to you telling me) was just appearing on the wet brined salmon.  Thanks for the tip, I can use this as an additional indicator in the future.

Philly35 said:
    Salmon! That's nasty. Trout, on the other hand, is not. And I've found that a dry brine is better and simpler than wet.
    I agree with you that dry brine is better (now that I tried both) but salmon is the ****! I absolutely love it! BTW, I am a Philly native, hopefully the birds do good in Chips second year and Hexy does a good job as GM over the next few seasons for the Flyers.  The Phils are a lost cause until RAJ is done.
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    Ooh Rah! Sgt!

Semper Fi.