Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Fire ring brings a silver lining

Options
So I have a small vertical crack in my fire ring.  I'm approaching it as a bonus since it is a pretty clean crack and now I shouldn't need to worry about the stress of expansion/contraction.  I am curious though; Assuming I am able to keep said fire ring after the warranty claim is it recommended to use two fire rings in a Large Egg? I noticed a string of posts back in '11 on the subject and I was considering using the extra fire ring in lieu of an AR/woo setup.  My only concern is the added weight and stress on the firebox.  Since there are a slew of fine folks on here that are much smarter on the subject than I, I figured I would come to the masses here for advice.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the weight on the firebox. But it may be unwieldy to juggle firerings over time when you want to cook raised vs. lowered.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Options
    Good to know. Im not too worried about juggling the rings. I enjoy the ritual of prepping my egg.
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Options
    Well, sadly I will be sans fire ring for two weeks. My local dealer made me turn my old one in and won't be getting another order till then.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I have a second fire ring that I use to get cooks at the gasket level on my medium. I did a spatch chicken today in a CI pan. Perfect/

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Here's a picture for reference:-

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Mine has had that vertical crack for years and still works fine.  I do also have a 2" fire ring and have used both or just the 2" depending on how much room I need where.  Always works fine. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Griff2w2-I would get your current cracked fire ring back from the dealer.  That's bunch of crap that he has to have yours before the replacement is in-house.  Either that or ask for a new replacement until your replacement comes in.  That level of customer "service" is totally wrong in my book.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I don't think the weight will be a issue at all. The fire ring doesn't weigh anymore than a cast iron grid. Not only that look at how much meat we load the eggs with when cooking large whole turkey's and subprimals. I think it will be just fine. Just my thoughts.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.