Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak

Options

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I have no complaints with Royal Oak. Latest bags have large pieces and minimal chips. Easy light, hot, clean flavor. Nothing not to like!
    +1.  On the other hand, I used some Cowboy last night and the food came out really smokey.  Previous experience with Cowboy was good but last night made me a Royal Oak convert.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    @FATC!TY.  Wasn't and insult man.  Wasn't directed toward you.  I was saying in general that if you are paying big bucks for a different color bag with the same stuff in it then yeah, your intelligence lacks a lot to be desired.  Not directed at you.  I don't care what you cook with or how much you pay for it.  Completely up to you.  I was just trying to figure out why I have heard so much complaints on herea about Royal Oak.  I like it.

People find a lot of junk in the RO bags. Similar to Cowboy lump. Burns fast, lots of ash, very smokey. Some don't tolerate it as well as others, and others have bad luck. I'm not fond of the dust and chips in Wicked lump, but love the way it burns for low and slow. It's also not cheap in my area, so I don't even buy it anymore. If you like RO, go with it. Most people started out using it until better options came available.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    @Cookinbob so is Royal Oak the same lump as BGE?
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Gordon Food Service sells 20 # for 13.99 a bag and when you get 5 or more they are 11.99 each and if you give them your email they will send you a 10% off coupon every week, rumor is that it is RO and for the money it's what I use. I'm a poor from the bag guy and the last little bit is dust but no more than any I have tried.

Chuck King

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    @QDude.  Is Royal Oak really the same as BGE?
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    @FATC1TY maybe you are right.  If I ever use a different higher quality brand I may like the flavor of the end product better.  Sorry I'm new to the game and am just trying to get best bang for my buck
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Options
    hashissmokin, if you are ever in Lexington or Versailles and want to give Rockwood a try, I have it.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have no issues with RO, other than the slightly longer preheat to rid the voc, bunch of us canuckians stocked up big time recently when it was 50% off at Lowes, $7.50 per 8 Kg bag

btw, did someone say 'flame war' 
    ;)

photo courtesy @AlbertaEgger
    canuckland
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    THE DRU said:
    hashissmokin, if you are ever in Lexington or Versailles and want to give Rockwood a try, I have it.
    I work in Lexington.  I'm in Lexington right now
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I usually buy 5 kinds of lump and mix them together.  I use different ratios depending on what I'm cooking.
    NOLA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    @buzd504 now that you mentioned mixing ... I don't normally mix, but when I do low and slow pulled pork, I bury some Le Gourmet lumps from Argentina underneath ... they are dense, burns long and hot, but sparky.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If I don't have 5 different kinds of lump I'll just clean out the firebox and fill it up with 5 cans of Sterno.
    Options
    Yeah you guys can waste your time mixing lump.  I'll waste mine mixing drinks.  Thanks for all the great input!
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Options
    hashissmokin, check out bggrills.com or holler at me 859-396-9894 anytime. Mike

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    @buzd504 now that you mentioned mixing ... I don't normally mix, but when I do low and slow pulled pork, I bury some Le Gourmet lumps from Argentina underneath ... they are dense, burns long and hot, but sparky.
    Yeah, that's good stuff.  I only use a little, though, unless I'm smoking gator.
    NOLA
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    THE DRU said:
    hashissmokin, check out bggrills.com or holler at me 859-396-9894 anytime. Mike
    I like that you actually list your prices.  Awesome!
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    At RD prices RO works fine for me & is readily available. Have not tried OO or RW but the search for & higher price is too big of a hassle when RO works fine for my purposes. When WGWW was the flavor dujour on here I did track a bag down & did not think it was worth the hassle. Also if you buy enough of anybrand of lump you will come across a bag that has been mishandled & full of dust. At RD the RO is still on the pallet so it has been handled minimally. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options

That is what everyone says.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've used BGE, RO and now Rockwood. I like Rockwood the best, but RO is fine if you want a little more smoke flavor. I am eager to try smoking a pork butt with Rockwood and some cherry or apple to if more flavor comes out.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Burn, Baby Burn………...

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    As you have figured out by now lump choice is more controversial than politics or religion on this forum!

RO is decent lump at a decent price. Buy what is readily available to you and egg some great eats with it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    ^^^^^ If you always wait for the key indicators that your fire is ready for cooking then you can work thru the lump differences in getting to that point.  And do different brands/processes yield different answers to "when am I there?", they sure do-thus the crusade.

Check out this site for some informative lump reviews and for the answers to most basic ceramic cook questions-BTW the recipe section is a "gold mine" of eggcellent cooks.  About the best initial reference you can find.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Ok ok I will end this lump flaming war and just put it out there. ROCKWOOD & Ozark Oak are the best lump ever made by mankind!!! I understand that availability is one thing but price per lb over the long haul is minute

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Naked Whiz compares all of the lump. 
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Just for the record I like Rockwood.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think we need the advice of @henapple to settle this once and for all

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Yes, Royal Oak is the source of BGE charcoal.  BGE brand is screened a bit more to reduce small pieces and stones, but at the end of the day, same charcoal as a regular bag of Royal Oak. I use both and find more stones in the RO, but when they have it on for 7.99 a bag around here lately, hard to pay the 30 for the BGE brand!  I also have used Maple Leaf, its ok, find it sparks a lot at high temps compared to RO and BGE.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    She's right.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Any fights yet?  I'm just checking back now and then.  FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!  Someone call me when one starts.  BTW, OO and RW are pinko commie lump brands.
    Options
    Quick, somebody change the topic to religion or politics, anything less controversial.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.