Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need desperate help lighting the egg

Options
2»

Comments

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    MAPP is the only way to go for me. Tried a lot of the others but switched to the MAPP when my Looftlighter died.
    Milton, GA.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Someone mentiond lighter fluid??  NOT using LF is the whole reason behind using lump.  If you want LF taste stick with briquettes...  EEEWWWWWW.... 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I mentioned LF. Forgot to use the sarcasm font.
    tncrna Posts: 8
    Options
    Newbie on this forum, BGE LG for one year.

3 or 4 pages crumpled newspapers, placed in the bottom of a weber chimney, new chunks of natural lump charcoal in chimney, chimney into the egg, on top of whatever leftover charcoal is still in it, light the chimney in the egg, come back in 10 minutes, and with welding gloves on, dump the glowing red charcoal in the chimney on top of the leftover charcoal in the egg. Take my pry bar, stir things around. (pic attached)
    Also, any opinions on using my wife's blow dryer to speed up getting egg to say 550 degrees for pizza?
    I also have a Guru, for long cooks, smoking. Love it.

• tncrna
    tncrna Posts: 8
    Options
    also: the curved end of the pry bar is my scraper to remove / clean out ashes from egg..

• hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    The starting cubes have always worked well for me.  push lump to sides of box put a cube in center and cover with lump with enough cube exposed to get a lighter to.  light, close dome, open vents fully, take off chimney cap.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I know some people recommend it, but the alcohol trick has never worked well for me.  Full disclosure- I didn't have 91 %.  It burns, but it only burns on the surface and then once the alcohol burns off I'm left with very little burning lump.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    The method shown in the video seems to be total overkill. A syringe, drilled rubber stopper and a specific grade of alcohol? A chart-level breakdown of methods to show why their method is the best (with absolutely no data to support their claim)? ROTFLMFAO. Why do we tend to over analyze this simple step in cooking with the BGE. Just light the damn thing! :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    I agree with Terrebandit it is so simple don`t overthink it.Paper towel and veggie oil and your done.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    tncrna said:
    Newbie on this forum, BGE LG for one year.

3 or 4 pages crumpled newspapers, placed in the bottom of a weber chimney, new chunks of natural lump charcoal in chimney, chimney into the egg, on top of whatever leftover charcoal is still in it, light the chimney in the egg, come back in 10 minutes, and with welding gloves on, dump the glowing red charcoal in the chimney on top of the leftover charcoal in the egg. Take my pry bar, stir things around. (pic attached)
    Also, any opinions on using my wife's blow dryer to speed up getting egg to say 550 degrees for pizza?
    I also have a Guru, for long cooks, smoking. Love it.

I just bought a BBQ Dragon (about $50 on Amazon) and like it so far.  Doesn't "crank" my Egg at warp speed but sure fans the fire pretty well.

It's essentially just a hairdryer on a clamp but I do like the variable speed control and battery operation.

My wife joked last night that she's going to borrow it, clamp it to her shoulder and do her hair while driving to work!  So, I guess it's a nice multipurpose device in that regard..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The method shown in the video seems to be total overkill. A syringe, drilled rubber stopper and a specific grade of alcohol? A chart-level breakdown of methods to show why their method is the best (with absolutely no data to support their claim)? ROTFLMFAO. Why do we tend to over analyze this simple step in cooking with the BGE. Just light the damn thing! :)
    Lol...I was thinking "holy Sh!t this is 9 minutes long??".  When I tried this I just poked a hole in the top of the alcohol so I could squirt it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I know some people recommend it, but the alcohol trick has never worked well for me.  Full disclosure- I didn't have 91 %.  It burns, but it only burns on the surface and then once the alcohol burns off I'm left with very little burning lump.  
    You have to use 91% alcohol. The 70% kind also sold at stores has too much water in it to burn properly.  A few squezes of the bottle (after putting a tiny hole in the seal) is all it takes for me. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Using a Mapp torch to light my bge is so easy. 15 sec. in 3 spots and it's done.
    Why is the heck would you go through the trouble of lighting it any other way? <rehtorical
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans