Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big A rib eye

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
surfaturf003.jpg
<p />Boneless thick rib eye, Shrimp cocktail, garlic roasted taters, Romaine salad with Maries Blue cheese dressing, Got to be someone's B-Day. Only question I have is how do folks wait for T Rex without overcook? I waited 15 minutes after sear and cool down: 3 minutes per side but way less than true Trex method. They were super. I know one needs a revolving credit line to acquire the thick rib eyes or other cuts but concerned about over cooking. I like medium rare but it seems like TRex is way too much cooking?

Comments

• Charbon,
    That is a fine looking ribeye! I still prefer to grill a steak
    the old fashioned hot and fast method instead of T-rexing.
    I dont like the wait. Those shrimps look like they wuld have been great
    grilled on the egg as well. Try it they are easy!

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Charbon,
    A good way to save big on rib eye steaks is to join the wholesale club, buy the whole roast and slice it up yourself. Compare $5.49/lb to 12.99/lb at the supermarket, you'll even save $2/lb or more over wholesale club price on steaks. A better way to up the overall experience is to dry age the roast in a spare fridge before you slice it up into steaks. [p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Citizen Q,
    Actually I have found that you don’t even have to cut it yourself. At both Kroger and Sam’s I have bought the whole roast and just taken back to the butcher and asked him to cut it up for me. They always do and the price is the same. I know some people prefer to do it themselves but I just can’t seem to do it as well as they can with their saw.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Charbon,
    that is one fine looking plate!!. .. not sure why you are worried about overcooking doing a trex ... .my rule of thumb is to sear at 750+ for 30 seconds per side for each half inch of steak (i.e. a 2 inch steak gets 2 minutes exactly per side), then letting them rest on a plate for 20 minutes while you get the egg down to 400 degrees. ..i think you get much more control over final doneness then during the dwell. .. if you have a thermapen or other instant read thermo, you can pull each steak when it is exactly at the temp you want them. .. [p]btw.. . while the steaks are dwelling, its a perfect time to throw some skewers of shrimp, coated with a little olive oil and dizzy tsunami spin or raging river, on the egg with the steaks. ...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Charbon,
    i believe the trex method was designed to allow the drinking of one quality beer between the sear and the roast stages. i look forward to it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charbon
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I had several which may have messed up my timing but not balance. Still came out great.

• Charbon
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I think I went a little long on the first sear according to your formula. The 15 minute wait got those puppies limp. Do you finish on raised grid? I've been doing more at the higher level and I like it better than nearer the coals.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Charbon,
    i find that you have to be very faithful to the trex directions. ...if i sear at less than nuclear temps (say at around 600 degrees instead of 750+) then the dwell has to be longer, and the steaks come out kind of mushy. ... so i make sure to:[p]1. only sear once the dome temp is way over 750 - i usually wait till the needle is pointed almost straight down[p]2. dwell direct w/ grid in regular place at 400 degrees . . .[p]my results are usually right on and steak has great texture, even when done medium rare. .. .with 2 inch thick steaks (and we usually do stips or tenderloins), dwell times can run as much as 6 - 8 minutes per side for medium rare . ...[p]keep on trying, you'll get the results you like!!

• Charbon
    Options
    Jalopy Bob,
    I wanted to try something new. I'll try again. After years of hot and fast grilling it takes a lot more patience. I always try to get the rest of the meal ready to go then armed with pig-tail I can focus entirely on meat and inferno.