Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with country style ribs.

Options
Pjoe
Pjoe Posts: 224
Hey everyone. SWMBO ordered country style ribs for the 4th. I need thoughts on the best way to smoke these puppies. I'm cooking on a small and i have a woo ring for it. Direct, indirect, temp, time, method? Appreciate your help. Have a great 4th! Bill
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING

Comments

• DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    I like mine indirect, rub with Meathead's Memphis Dust, run about 250 until they are are about 150-ish in the thickest part of the meat, you will not be disappointed.  I like the heavier amount of meat on these, especially if you have several guests to feed….good luck!
    LBGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Country - style, so called, is cut from the boneless portion of a butt. Usually there's some portions that are very tender, and others that are really tough. I've tried them lo-n-slo, but they always seem to dry out. If I rub them, and mass them in foil, they approach pullable, but mediocre. Like DTEgg, I pull them around 150, but I run the temp up toward the end to crisp the edges some.

If not having them in big slabs is OK, try cutting into chunks and trimming away as much connective tissue as you can. Then marinade over night, and cook on skewers, hot and fast.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've always grilled them raised direct like chicken at about 400.   

I soak mine in Allegro and do nothing else. They are always a HUGE hit.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @‌Pjoe
    There are two types of country style ribs. The first is cut from the boston butt and resembles a pork steak. This cut is best cooked indirect low and slow. The next is cut from the loin area. These lend themselves well to being cooked either direct or indirect. I posted some a few weeks back that I cooked raised direct at 600 degrees just as a experiment. A better and more controllable temp of 350-400 is recommended. I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    SGH- these were cut fresh from a butt this morning. Any thoughts on time and temp?
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @‌Pjoe
    I would run about 275 degrees indirect until they register 195 internal. Guaranteed to turn out excellent my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.