Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cooking Grates

Options
2»

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    SGH said:
    @HDumptyEsq‌ Brother I had to look those two words up in the dictionary!
    @SGH the expression was originally coined by @SenecaTheYounger, who said I was no good at it.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What ever become if him? Haven't seen him on here in a while.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SGH‌ medicine? Please don't go on a killing spree unless it involves meat. Meat is murder---sweet delicious murder. Or you could join me here B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    America's oldest brewery
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I hear ya brother. No killing spree. I take Cymbalta to keep calm and mellow. I have a severe total body nerve disorder.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ my bad man. It was meant as funny ha ha. I have my own meds as well. But, it's all good. Having the C word in my twenties and then now with COPD I feel blessed to be here and plan on enjoying every minute of life. So, hopefully ya know I meant no disrespect. I laugh at my meds simply because I know I'm the dumb ass that smoked Camel Wides for so many years (nobody to blame but, myself). Oh ya & eff you Cancer!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    No offense taken at all my friend. I joke about taking my medicine as well. Im certainly glad to hear that you are C free. I don't even like saying the word. And brother you said it best. Enjoy every minute off life because you just never know.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ you lost me with the chart so I'll just take your word for it. Most chefs believe that a person eats/tastes with there eyes first. I've never cooked with CI, but must say the grill marks have much more eye to taste appeal.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ here's a lil ditty bout Cancer. Ya I said it Cancer Ca, Ca, Ca (record scratch) Ca, Cancer. Eff you Cancer!
    CONFESSION - **** Cancer (OFFICIAL VIDEO): http://youtu.be/oBi9gDab5n8

I had Testicular Cancer so I can sorta laugh at this one too. :))
    AC/DC-Big Balls Music Video: http://youtu.be/gJ3tqIukBKg

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Oops sorry for the thread hijack. CI rocks!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    That's a good one. And brother feel free to hi jack anytime. I do the very same myself! Again certainly glad to hear that you are C free.

Status- Standing by.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Bayarad said:
    Not meaning to buck the trend here, but I believe cast iron provides a better sear and better flavor on a steak and on burgers...but that is just me and my taste buds and perception no science involved!
    Also global climate change is a giant conspiracy by 97% of the world's scientists.  ;)

Notice the migration from global warming to global climate change. At least he's reading the rule book. Not much 'tolerance' for cast iron huh?
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Hibby - I "like" cast iron fine.
    edited July 2014
    Options

I bought one of the BGE cast iron grates awhile back because I was curious about the practical differences.

I love the CI - I've actually been using it most of the time lately. 

One bonus/unintended/AWESOME benefit I've discovered:  When creating a Ghetto-second cooking level (or raised direct cooking level), I now use my Cast Iron grate on bottom, three beer cans, and my SS grate on top.  The CI grate provides the cans a more stable surface to sit on than the fire-ring (which I used to do - balance the cans on the fire-ring, add the grate on top - wobbled all over the place).

Mind you, this isn't exactly CI vs. SS grate benefit so much as just a 'second grate' benefit haha.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I LOVE this place......
    GWN
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    alynd said:
    what are the benefits?  in other words, why would i want one of these instead of the standard stainless steel grates?

After 2 pages of posts I believe you can come up with your list of pros and cons on the CI to make an educated decision.  Clearly, CI grates have advanages and just like anything else, they have drawbacks as well.  Good luck. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat