Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your thoughts on YETI coolers???

Options
Worth the high price tag or not?
Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Depends on what your need is. I was given a 35 for Christmas. If you are just going to use it for cookouts and day trips, it is no different than a Coleman. If you intend to keep stuff cold for a few days, then definitely worth it. The first bag of ice will melt while getting the insulation cold, but the second bag will stay cold for a looong time.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Top of the line.  They're very good.  There are others as good that cost less though. 
    I did forget to mention that it makes you look cool, kinda like having a pack of smokes rolled up in your sleeve.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SuperCooper
    Options
    Thats what i'm looking for!! I would have to buy the hat and sticker for my truck.
    Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013
  • scootr2200
    scootr2200 Posts: 23
    Options
    I love my two 65's that I have.  I was able to keep a quartered doe on the same 20lbs of ice for 7 days without a problem.  The will be able to last a lifetime without a problem and save money on ice refills.

I also have a small Orka which is almost a clone of the Yeti.  I think Orka literally took a Yeti and copied most all of its features.  The fit and finish is not on the same level as the Yeti, but it is also much cheaper than the Yeti but should work just as well.

I was able to get my Yeti's through REI when they have a '25% off a single store item' coupon and save some serious cash!

Mickey
    Western NC Egger since January 2014

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    edited July 2014
    Options
    All the cool guys have one! No pressure, but you better get yourself one!  Best cooler i've every owned!
    Rowlett, Texas
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    I agree, it's the best cooler I've ever owned as well. Totally worth it!
    Durham, NC
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ Would you elaborate please on the others that are as good but cheaper? I have been eyeing the Yeti's for some time to take along in my camper to increase my capacity for meat as the fridge is pretty limited on space.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a Pelican and an Engel.  I've had a number of Pelican cases in the past, they got into coolers not that long ago, but it's a good bet if you see military or lab equipment being transported, it's in Pelican cases.  Lifetime warranty (wonder if Yeti has that) and I think it looks better then Yeti (personal preference) and it is more bear resistant.  Look it up.  Plus they're about 30% cheaper. 

The Engel I have is a dry box, minimally insulated and not anywhere close to the Pelican quality, but then again, it's not their "cooler".   I use it as a cambro.
    Options
    I have a few for fishing. They hold ice/bait like we need it too. (For days) just make sure the cooler is cool when you put stuff in and you're good to go. Cold beer for days. I've had a 65, 45, 120, and 420.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Got a 45 when I retired in Feb. left TX to Calf and took a right all the way to Astoria OR about 9 days later. Still had ice. Like it so much I got a Roadie when I got back. Now travel with both. Put me down for a yes to your question.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We have a Pelican.  Friends have Yetis  Both are fine units and do what they claim.  Can't go wrong  either one.  Biggest complaint is the weight of the units when filled with food and ice.
    We bought an Engle to use at fest.  Pelican stays in the car and the Engle is filled with the food needed for the cooks.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I agree with @nolaegghead‌ that both Engel and Pelican are par excellent. Yeti is great as well. The cooler comparison is akin to Jambo vs Klose vs Yoder. Just pick the one that has the features that you most like. They are all at the very top of the spectrum when it comes to quality and performance. Can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Grizzly is another excellent one as well.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Of this years models I actually favor the Pelican. Just the one I like.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Options
    Just for the record, the Blue Yetis keep ice longer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The Costco in Alpharetta GA has the 160qt yeti for $469.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    You may be correct on the ice retention but I like the latches on the Engel and the craftsmanship on the Pelican. Hey I'm old and weird. What can I say.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Options
    Took the bikes to Galveston last month and the Yetis followed. image

• Mickey
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ You may be correct on the ice retention but I like the latches on the Engel and the craftsmanship on the Pelican. Hey I'm old and weird. What can I say.

No idea on the latches or build. Mine come from my Egg dealer in Salado and after all the good I was told by owners I am a happy Yeti owner. I just don't think you can make a mistake in the high end cooler market. Just saw some high dollar coolers in HEB being sold by them.

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    I agree brother. They are all excellent.

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    What is the most useable size? The 160qt at my Costco seems a little big but 75qt seems small for a camping trip. Think I may be able to get away with buying 1 but will get bad looks if I suggest getting another anytime soon. You guys with several what do you use the most?
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Old 120. Yeti sent me all new latches for it, just haven't installed yet. imageimage
  • MJLivingston
    Options
    I won my Yeti and love it. I use mine for holding meats way more than cold drinks. I also have 2 Orca 75 quarts at work that are identical to the yetis and made in TN I believe.
    Lexington TN
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    I have both. Love both. Costco in Selma Texas has the 95 quart Pelican for 299. I got my 45 a year ago for 245.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I have a 45 and a 65. Love em!
    GWN
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Costco has the pelican 95 for $279 delivered. It weighs a scant 55 lbs!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm thinking hard about purchasing a Pelican Cooler at Sams Club.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Was looking to buy a high end cooler, but decided against it. For the simple reason that I don't want to have to keep my eye on it. Just got back from a 4 day camping trip and if I had a Yeti or the like, I don't think I could leave it at camp unattended.
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options

tksmoke said:
    Costco has the pelican 95 for $279 delivered. It weighs a scant 55 lbs!!!
    I went to costco online was $379.00? Is it diff price based on type of membership?
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ