Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt and Brisket cook

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
I need to cook a big pork butt as well as a brisket for vacation in 10 days. Plan is to pull/slice, vac pack and freeze, then reheat at the beach. I have a new AR, and was wondering, do I cook both at once? If so, what goes on top? There is no time issue doing separately, as I have a three day weekend to cook them. Separately, I get to 'watch' the Egg on the patio with a drink in hand for two days straight, with the weather forecast looking like perfect temps, using different wood for smoke. Can anyone convince me to do them at the same time? I have lots of lump so that's no issue.

Comments

• Coach292
    Coach292 Posts: 39
    Cook them separate if you are going to freeze them. Then both will get the full bark and you don't have to worry about separate cooking times and temps.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Tjcoley‌
    If timing is not an issue I'm on the side of cooking them separate. Much easier to hit the "look" in my opinion when making temp adjustments for a single cut as opposed to multiple cuts. Nothing wrong with cooking them together if you so desire. But again I'm a fan of cooking them individual for various reasons when time is not a issue. Just my thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Just after posting, I saw back to back ads for Subway 'Applewood smoked pulled pork' and Arby's Brisket. I guess I can save the effort of cooking them and just pick sandwiches up when we get there.
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Tjcoley‌
    I think I would stick with cooking the butt and brisket my friend. ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I am in the cook separate camp if you have time I think you get a better product.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Another vote for separate cooks if scheduling allows.  Obviously more quality adult supervisory beverage and SWMBO eggscape time if nothing else.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.