Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cooking Grates

Options
alynd
alynd Posts: 130
what are the benefits?  in other words, why would i want one of these instead of the standard stainless steel grates?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There are none. 
    There are none. 
    +1 except the cast iron won't warp on hot burns...but then the SS won't break either....
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Some folks love the grill marks CI grids leave on meat.  Here is a good analysis, and some information why grill marks may not produce the best tasting meats.  http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html

Instead of a CI grid, I use a CI griddle to get the maillard reaction over a wider area. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    None
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    CI has better heat transfer, heat retention and has more even heat distribution and once seasoned food tends to stick less. Obviously opinions differ. I prefer CI grid and CI pan, skillet etc.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Science party pooper guy here.  :D  No offense @NPHuskerFL, but you can't have better heat retention and transfer at the same time.  CI retains heat better, transfers slower - conducts heat slower.  Non-stick is more a function of how smooth and seasoned the material is.  

Generally the cast iron stuff has more mass than the steel or stainless so you can get alot more heat in it.  Keep in mind, CI, steel and stainless are all iron alloys and they the same amount of heat per weight.  The crystalline structure makes them transfer it differently. 

For practically still fluids - average values for the overall heat transmission coefficient through different combinations of fluids on both sides of the wall and type of wall - can be found in the table below:

FluidTransmission SurfaceFluidOverall Heat Transmission Coefficient
    (Btu/ft2 hr oF)(W/m2 K)
    WaterCast IronAir or Gas1.47.9
    WaterMild SteelAir or Gas2.011.3
    WaterCopperAir or Gas2.313.1
    WaterCast IronWater40 - 50230 - 280
    WaterMild SteelWater60 - 70340 - 400
    WaterCopperWater60 - 80340 - 455
    AirCast IronAir1.05.7
    AirMild SteelAir1.47.9
    SteamCast IronAir2.011.3
    SteamMild SteelAir2.514.2
    SteamCopperAir3.017
    SteamCast IronWater160910
    SteamMild SteelWater1851050
    SteamCopperWater2051160
    SteamStainless SteelWater120680
    • 1 Btu/ft2 hr oF = 5.678 W/m2 K = 4.882 kcal/h m2 oC - Unit Converter

Options
    So what that table tells us is copper transfers heat the best (out of the list) and CI the poorest.  That's why they put copper in pans - to keep the heat even by spreading it out, and why copper is used for heat exchangers and radiators.  If aluminum were in that list, it would be higher than all steel alloys. 
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with cast iron other than it breaks like ceramic. 
    Options
    Not meaning to buck the trend here, but I believe cast iron provides a better sear and better flavor on a steak and on burgers...but that is just me and my taste buds and perception no science involved!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ Well thank you Mr Science Guy ;-). Oops. Yep. SS has better heat transfer (it sheds heat almost as quick as it gains it). And CI ability to retain heat, in my book, is a positive.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    OK ask nolaegghead the scientific stuff - got it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Bayarad said:
    Not meaning to buck the trend here, but I believe cast iron provides a better sear and better flavor on a steak and on burgers...but that is just me and my taste buds and perception no science involved!
    Perception is a wonderful thing.  Take the same food, split in two, make one pretty the other ugly, the pretty will "taste" better every time to anyone who isn't blind.  So there's something to be said for it, as perception is reality.  Also global climate change is a giant conspiracy by 97% of the world's scientists.  ;)
    CI makes cool grillmarks. Thats the best I got........

Little Rock, AR

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @nolaegghead, you're beginning to sound like @SenecaTheYounger. Your information is accurate but useless. <:-P :))

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Uh oh - now we're beginning to get personal here...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    Uh oh - now we're beginning to get personal here…
    He can take it!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Hahaha....I'll take that as a compliment.  :D
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Stainless steel can make sear marks just as well as CI.  I sort of proved that with a bit of over the top searing, lol:  

The Naked Whiz
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Perception is what makes my tummy feel full and happy! Good enough for me! If I want a molecular breakdown meal, I go to a gastropub! If I want an awesome steak, I sit on my deck and introduce it to my cast iron grate! Said with Peace and Love!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    There is one small plus to the cast iron grid. The cooking bars are very close together. This is a plus when cooking very small items such as unskewered shrimp and clams. As with most things in the cooking world the cast iron vs ss is open to much subject and debate. That being said I like and use both for different things. I really like the wide flat side of the cast iron for cooking fish fillets and small vegetables. It works wonderfully for this purpose. My recommendation is to purchase and use one of each for different cooks. Just a friendly reminder. The above is just my opinion and what works very well for me. Others mileage may vary and differ. They are both excellent for intended purposes.
    imageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @SGH. Your information is accurate and usefull =))

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• SGH
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    I try very hard to give useful and unbiased opinions. I don't know how well that I exceed at it. But I try my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @SGH and @nolaegghead. What I love about this forum is the wonderful information but a bit of banter and "raillery" is always enjoyable too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - I agree with you but I'd like to point out the advantages and disadvantages are more a product of the physical shapes we typically see that are different in a cast versus a welded product and not in material science.  Mickey has a water-jet cut steel grate, so is the swing grate I believe - made of steel, not cast, yet have narrow openings and mass like cast grates.  These both act like what you're saying cast iron does because of the physical characteristics.  
    Options
    That's what I love about this forum! The marketplace of ideas pick and choose what you will!
  • SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    I certainly agree with you brother. Not trying to build a case for either. I use and enjoy both. I believe everyone should have and use each. I like them both for different reasons.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    I find that they cook equal. No difference in food quality. I just like the small gap and flat side of the cast iron for certain cooks. Seems to make it easier to me. Examples- Fish, shrimp and small vegetables.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    One last point. I haven't had my medicine today so I may be just rambling. I may have to retract everything I have posted today after I take my medicine and my head clears!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - I think we agree.  I originally said there was no advantage, the question was one of materials.  If it was about mass or shape I would definitely mention there are advantages there. 
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    Brother I had to look those two words up in the dictionary!

Status- Standing by.