Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn gone wrong. Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @orthobear - thanks for the pics. Very descriptive. I will go this route when my gasket fails. 

@rrp - i just wanted to know how difficult/simple the process was with removing the old and installing the Rutland. this post answered my questions. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Orthobear
    Orthobear Posts: 84
    Options
    No problem Gatabites. RRP's instructions were really easy to follow. The one question I have was whether or not I laid down enough permatex adhesive. I probably used about half of the tube. I'll take a picture tomorrow to see how it is.
    Houston, TX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Clean burns are unnecessary imo.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    When installing the rutland gasket does it only go on the bottom? I am needing to replace mine as it burned off during the last clean burn. Also it cracked my fire ring. Called yesterday to get a replacement.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Yes I always strongly suggest that it only goes on the bottom!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    @rrp - so, when the original gaskets wear out/crack/breakdown (whatever happens to them) and a replacement is in order, if the Rutland only goes on the bottom does that mean that the dome is gasket-free?
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • RRP
    Options
    itsmce said:
    @rrp - so, when the original gaskets wear out/crack/breakdown (whatever happens to them) and a replacement is in order, if the Rutland only goes on the bottom does that mean that the dome is gasket-free?
    Yes - that is possible because when the Rutland is properly compressed or "bunched" back into itself then it becomes both wider and thicker and therefore no gasket is needed on the dome. I cover all that in the instructions I send along with whatever size gasket is purchased. It's just a service I have been providing to fellow eggheads for 12 years now. BTW numbers 1,237-9 shipped today.
  • Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Options
    I'll never do it again I think the food tasted different after I did it..
  • RRP
    Options
    Janssen14 said:
    I'll never do it again I think the food tasted different after I did it..
    No need to draw a line in the sand! The build up of grease and smoke over a period of time will coat your dome and walls with some pretty bad looking junk. In time that will start to flake off on to your food and then you will really feel "the food tasted different"!
  • Orthobear
    Options
    After the 24hr setup I opened the dome to test out the new gasket and when I tugged at it a little it came right off. Any ideas what went wrong? Not enough permatex? Was the surface not clean enough? Any ideas on what I need to do next? Thanks in advance.
    Houston, TX
  • Orthobear
    Options
    From the looks of it I probably spread the permatex too thin.
    Houston, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Agree - spread thin it sets up fast. 
    Options
    @nolaegghead - is it ok to apply new permatex to the set permatex or do I need to clean that off first?
    Houston, TX
  • RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You know I have replied to all of your emails, but thanks for the picture! That gasket never even kissed that Permatex, much less got embedded in the fibers!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Orthobear said:
    @nolaegghead - is it ok to apply new permatex to the set permatex or do I need to clean that off first?
    I would scrape off the old stuff first.  Adhesives adhere better (mechanically) to scratched up porous surfaces - that's the reason you have to sand between coats of polyurethane. 
    Options
    Just thought about this. Since a very high heat clean burn might damage the gasket ...if you lined the gasket with aluminum foil wouldn't that protect it? I've noticed I've gone through a lot of gaskets over the years. It was probably low quality gaskets and the any high temp burns I did for steak and pizzas.
  • RRP
    Options
    Coach292 said:
    Just thought about this. Since a very high heat clean burn might damage the gasket ...if you lined the gasket with aluminum foil wouldn't that protect it? I've noticed I've gone through a lot of gaskets over the years. It was probably low quality gaskets and the any high temp burns I did for steak and pizzas.
    My experience with even HD aluminum foil is it will melt at high heat. Rather than try to protect a wimpy gasket switch to a 2,200 degree Rutland and never look back!