Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Lobster

Options
Any recipe ideas for cooking a whole lobster on the Egg?

Comments

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I just split in half length wise and cook at about 550 direct for 8-10mins.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    If it is live...kill it in boiling water first (five minutes?). Then split it in half and place it split side down on a direct grid for another five minutes. Serve with lemon and butter dipping sauce. What time should I be there?   *-:)
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Hold lobster with head down, tap top of head with the butte end of a knife. The lobster will go limp and lifeless. Split the lobster and pour a couple of tablespoons of Sambucca in each half. Put on grill, shell side down, being careful not to spill the Sambucca as it will flare up. Cook for 10 minutes or so until the flesh releases easily from the shell. Different and delish.
    Try it with shrimp (flambéed on a pan) too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    A few weeks back @TexanOfTheNorth‌ posted some incredible looking lobsters. You might give him a shout. He done a outstanding job however he done it. They looked awesome.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I cook tons of lobster on grill. For some reason that I don't completely understand, the lobster come out much more tender if you parboil them first. I cook them 1/2 to 3/4 of the way in salted boiling water, pull them and drop them into ice water to stop cooking. Then grill direct hot and fast to get a little color on them.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    SGH said:
    A few weeks back @TexanOfTheNorth‌ posted some incredible looking lobsters. You might give him a shout. He done a outstanding job however he done it. They looked awesome.
    Here is his post: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166968/friday-night-surf-turf#latest
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Hold lobster with head down, tap top of head with the butte end of a knife. The lobster will go limp and lifeless. Split the lobster and pour a couple of tablespoons of Sambucca in each half. Put on grill, shell side down, being careful not to spill the Sambucca as it will flare up. Cook for 10 minutes or so until the flesh releases easily from the shell. Different and delish.
    Try it with shrimp (flambéed on a pan) too.

That sounds amazing.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    Just curious do you remove the tamale from the lobster or do you eat it? I use to like it but as of late seem to have lost the taste for it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Do you really want to grill it? I find steaming and boiling the best methods for lobster. The meat stays succulent throughout.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I believe grilling the lobster just accentuates the flavor! I really like it!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • therealhaddock
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    SGH said:
    Here is his post: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166968/friday-night-surf-turf#latest
    Thanks. I've dropped him a line. They look amazing!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    SGH said:
    @HDumptyEsq‌ Just curious do you remove the tamale from the lobster or do you eat it? I use to like it but as of late seem to have lost the taste for it.
    I don't these days coz the tomalley is the liver and pancreas of the lobster and unless it comes from pristine waters they can collect pollutants.
    We used to make a sauce with butter, lemon juice, white pepper and sieve the tomalley into the sauce and serve warm over steamed lobster. I used to like it's deep seafood flavor but haven't done it for years. 
    The same can be done with the tomalley from Maryland Blue crabs. My FIL used to just spoon it out and eat it.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields