Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip: Grilled vs Low and Slow

Options
alynd
alynd Posts: 130
Which would be the better way?  I have a 3lb tri tip I want to cook tonight.  I assume if I grill it, I'd want to treat it like a steak, basically.  If I go low and slow at 250, what internal temp should I pull it off at?

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You pretty much want to cook any lean beef to whatever doneness you want (about 135 for medium rare).  I would pull 7-10 degrees below target temp, because it will continue to rise as it rests.

The benefit for low and slow on a tri-tip is more for even cooking than rendering fat (which is the usual reason like for butts and ribs).  I would pull about 110-115 then sear over high direct heat to bring it to temp.
    NOLA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Why choose? Do both as @buzd504 suggested. Tri-tip is a perfect candidate for reverse sear.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @buzd504‌ @DMW‌
    They called this one right on the money. I third the vote for a reverse sear. There is no better way in my opinion.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like the reverse sear method, things happen a bit slower and it is easier to not overshoot an IT of about 125º. Pull, dry and either grill or pan sear. We like it around 135 final, some find that too well done. 
    Lately, been using the Trés Booblay for 4 hours at 134º, followed by a dry and pan sear. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Reverse sear is definitely my first option for tri-tip.  Here is one that I did with an injection.

Another option that works almost as well as reverse sear but in less time is grilling it raised direct.  Here's how I do that one using a green chile rub.

Either way you go, you're gonna enjoy that tri-tip.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NibbleMeThis‌
    Brother that looks excellent. I see that you like yours on the rare side as well. That's the way it should be.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I followed the reverse sear guidelines from @nibblemethis both times I've done tri-tip. Its been great.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you should treat tri-tip like a steak, but the reverse sear is a great method (for any steak!). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I had some low and slow at an egg fest, it was very good. I would give it a shot.
    Seattle, WA
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    About how long should I plan on it taking to get to about 115 IT at 250 dome?  
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    You can cook them in a number of ways but reverse sear is my favorite.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A little info on how I cook them: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143349/tri-tip-tutorial
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • sofakingbald
    Options
    Reverse sear is definitely my first option for tri-tip.  Here is one that I did with an injection.

Another option that works almost as well as reverse sear but in less time is grilling it raised direct.  Here's how I do that one using a green chile rub.

Either way you go, you're gonna enjoy that tri-tip.
    Seriously, for my taste, that is the best looking meat that I have seen on this forum. Doing that tonight.
    BGE novice from Arlington, Texas

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    +1 on reverse sear. I usually pull at IT of 120 then sear over high heat.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    @NibbleMeThis, question for you.  I've been cooking tri-tip for years, mostly using the reverse sear method.  I usually use a rub of some sort, seasoning the meat and letting it sit overnight. 

I want to try your injection method on the next tri-tip.  Did you let the meat sit for any period of time after injecting, or did you just run with it? 

Thanks in advance!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    another vote for reverse sear...I always cook indirect until it hits 130. Pull the meat and my Woo with stone, drop in spider with grid close to coals... open the vents until it hits 6 to 700...then do 90 seconds each side
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I hot tub mine in 110 degree water for about an hour with the rub already on which will bring it close to 100 degrees then I cook raised direct over high heat till it hits 125. Comes out great no matter how you cook it but you have to make sure you slice across the grain or its really chewy. Look at r2egg2q's pic. Every one I have ever done that's the way to slice across the pointed end.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    looks like I'm hanging by myself as not a fan of the reverse sear.   Just seems odd to do the hottest cook when working to the desired internal temp.  Plus, I season the meat after the sear/blackening and before roasting to desired internal temp.  This way the seasoning can't burn and create off flavors. 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

You can cook them in a number of ways but reverse sear is my favorite.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A little info on how I cook them: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143349/tri-tip-tutorial

That's the PERFECT thickness imo. Looks great!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I pulled a trip tip out today to cook like a steak, but I think I will wait tell tomorrow when I have more time to do the reverse sear on a CI skillet. Pics to come.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.