Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accessories

Options
This may be a bad question to ask but here goes. I just my first new/used large egg, I have a placesetter but nothing else. What are the must haves and best places to get them?
Joe (lrg egg,mavrick ET-73, placesetter)
Cabot, Ar

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    The one must have is a good thermometer, for checking doneness of your cook. Thermopen by Thermoworks is the favorite here. Then start cooking and learning the Egg. Other stuff will accumulate as you go along.
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    A Maverick ET-73 thermometer is really nice for L & S cooks..... I love mine.
    GWN
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can build a cheap raised grid with a weber charcoal grate, Carriage bolts, nuts, and washers. That can give you a second level when cooking or provide the ability to cook raised direct.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited July 2014
    Options
    you'll go broke chasing what you see on this forum. Just get to cooking, take your time and you will spend your money more wisely. A thermometer is a great choice. use the dealer locator and go in and peruse some of the accessories. 

Is this your first time cooking with charcoal?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    My thoughts are that a quality thermometer like a Thermopen is a very high priority, followed my some sort of multi-level grate system. In time you will add more of the nice to have stuff.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I've said it here before - buying an Egg is like buying a Harley. The bike is only the start…enjoy the "ride"

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    +1 on the Thermopen. Then some way to raise the grid to cook direct at and above the felt line. Standard BGE direct cooking is right above the charcoal and will burn chicken and fish before it is fully cooked.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thermopen by Thermoworks is the most important item (besides the a Egg) you can buy to make you a better cook outside or inside. Please note, the one that looks like it sold by Egg is not it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mickey‌ ^^^^^^^^ Careful my friend. The forum police won't like that. @joe004‌ But just to be clear it's the Thermopen by Thermoworks. That's the best one in my opinion.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Best accessories are more eggs of course every egg needs a twin.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    While both are substantial investments - I use the Thermopen and Adjustable Rig on pretty much every cook. The ash tool and ash pan are nice accessories as well. While these things do add up in cost - the food is so good that we save a good bit of money because we almost never eat out any more.