Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium startup time (& how much lump)

Options
Hey, gang.

Considering adding a Medium to the Egg family..

Curious how quickly you guys can get it to temp (say, 400) and how high you need to fill the lump to do so. 

BTW, I know I can get it hot quickly with a MAP torch or weedburner but am on an elevated wood deck so prefer to use Electric starter..

Thanks for any/all info!
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I like Rockwood lump. With a clean egg and fresh lump, mine will make it in about 15 minutes with one starter cube. As long as the starter cube is burned up, the smoke is usually clean and ready to cook. I have walked away during lighting and had 600 degrees in 20 minutes by mistake. 

I just made a spatchcock today for lunch and I had a harder time with it today as it has been very humid and I had a lot of lump left over after my last cook. I also do my spatchcock indirect so it takes a little longer to get up to temp with the platesetter in there. As far as how much, I usually fill the fire box - sometimes a little more. I LOVE my MBGE. I think its my favorite size.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Never used an electric starter, so can't answer how quick that might work.. I have 2 mediums. I can get 400F dome w. as little as half a fire pot of lump. The time is quicker w. a full load of lump, but only because the lump surface is closer to the dome therm.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    My medium takes about :15 using a torch and OO. It's a great size to complement my XL.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

I also use the weed torch on my medium.  It will be up to 400 in well under 10 minutes, depending on how it is lit.  I frequently use leftover lump from the XL.  Fresh lump, filled about half is still under 10 minutes if I light in 3 or 4 places.  I have a High Que grate, which may contribute to the speed.  The speed that it came up to temp was my very first surprise with the medium.  It is also very controllable. 

The medium is an excellent complement to the XL - it still has enough space to cook a whole meal for 2 without getting creative, but is very quick to get going.  I use it more than the XL now.  That is not to say that the XL doesn't have it's place.  When I am doing ribs, or a larger meal, the XL shines.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    Simple oil on a paper towel and it will be at 400 in 15 to 20 minutes. I usually just fill the egg to the fire ring each time I start.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    I have a medium and i use paper towel and vegie oil and it works great
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I use the little Green Egg starter squares and heat up time depends on lump used.  If I'm using Frontier lump from Sam's club I'm easily up to temp in 10-15 minutes, if I'm using denser lump like Wicked Good WW it generally takes 20-25 minutes to get up to temp.  The big thing is those really dense lumps like Wicked Good will do a low and slow all night with no fuss and have more to go in the AM....faster burning wood heats up quicker but it also burns off quicker.   Everything is a compromise.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Thanks, guys.  Could you explain the paper towel and veggie oil again to me?  I've read so many variations of it I'm not sure if you crumple up the towel, twist it, where you lay it, how much to use, etc, etc.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    I just twist a single towel and pour a little oil on it. Place the towel in the top center of the lump and lay a couple of pieces over it and light the towel. Keeping it simple works for me.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Actually, I don't see how the soaked paper towel is any safer than a MAPP weed torch.  As the soaked paper towel burns, the lump sparks, and there you have it.  Or if a breeze catches a corner of the burning PT - away it flies.  Because you are always right there when using the torch, I don't look on it as a high danger operation.  I have stuff that could burn on my porch (cushions, for example), but there is very little that escapes the egg.  But, you need to do what you are comfortable with.  I can't recall hearing of anyone who has had a problem as a result of using a weed torch. Thus we can conclude that a weed torch is safer than a wood table. 
    Santa Paula, CA