Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Neck and Wing

Options
hapster
hapster Posts: 7,503
Been a challenging couple of weeks... Finally went to the orthopedic doc today... Turns out I've got a pinched and inflamed nerve in my left trap muscles that has my neck and left shoulder feeling like a rotten tooth. I haven't slept more than an hour or two a night for over a week now. They took X-rays and I'm scheduled for an MRI in two weeks.

They gave me scrips for prednisone for the nerve, a horse pill sized muscle relaxant, and some vicodines for the pain. Took a Vic a few hours ago and will take another before bed. Hopefully I'll get some sleep. Needless to say that between lack of sleep and work, I've been a real di$k head lately.

Finished up the shopping tonight; so after a busy day tomorrow I'm so looking forward to jumping into the weekend and getting my egg on... Especially looking forward to lots of laughs with my wife's family, some cocktails, and some good smokes.

This pain has made me realize that I'm not quite as physically young as I once was... And that I should of listened to my dad more when he tried to teach me about working smarter and not harder :))

Hope everyone has good weather and safely gets their weekends underway...

No pics tonight, I'm sure I'll have plenty to post starting tomorrow evening.

Have a good night...

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    At least you know what the issue is now. Speedy recovery. Always enjoy your posts and even admire the occasional crappy pic :))
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Get well soon. Try one of those Vicodin with a LARGE glass of something nice. You won't feel too much better - you just won't give a ****. Seriously, I hope all is well very soon.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Take it easy and rest your shoulder. Hopefully it doesn't involve your neck. Spine stuff sucks and is never ending.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Ouch. You may need to find someone to raise the dome so you don't injured it further. Take care and heal soon.
    Options

Take it easy and rest your shoulder. Hopefully it doesn't involve your neck. Spine stuff sucks and is never ending.

Thanks... Based on the X-rays they said it doesn't look like anything is pinching, more likely that the muscle is in spasm and crunched the nerve. Their hoping that the steroid helps to reduce the inflammation and I should be back to normal aches and pains in about a week
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Hope all gets better quickly @hapster. Pain is no fun especially when coupled with no sleep. I had a round with my rotator about a yr ago so I know about the no sleep. Take it easy and don't mix too many of the pills with the Tito's or your cooks will end up looking like mickey's wings. >:)

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Hope you feel better, hap. If you're taking the prednisone for a while you may want to be taking some Prilosec or Nexium with it. Steroids will do a number on your stomach.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hapster
    Options
    caliking said:

Hope you feel better, hap. If you're taking the prednisone for a while you may want to be taking some Prilosec or Nexium with it. Steroids will do a number on your stomach.

Thanks... Already a long time taker of a Prevacid prescription. Kinda going to play this one slow and cautious with the meds, foods, and cocktails.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @‌hapster
    I wish you a speedy recovery my friend. Being ill or in pain is awful to say the least. You know it's got me thinking. You being in pain might be the reason your pictures look so bad!
    :D I wish you the best brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    SWMBO give this +100
    Options
    Bump....... Just because my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Take it easy and I hope you get some relief from the meds..Have a great 4th and a great weekend..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Hope you feel better.
    I know it's not any fun.
    I have similar stuff going on except it's my lower back.
    Have vacation next week, hope a little R&R will help.
    Bringing the small egg to the camp ground for it's first road trip.
    Have a good one.

Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Pain and pills are never a good recipe! We all need you better so we can see what's for dinner! Take care and feel better soon!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    Options
    Hope you have a speedy recovery.  I agree.  Cocktails + pain pills = you won't see the fireworks. LOL!
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Speedy recovery to you, Sir. Take it easy when mixing those pills with alcohol. Very easy to overdo it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Hope you feel some relief soon Hapster! Should, neck and rib injuries really suck!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Take care. Just spent 10 days on Vicodin and Flexerel (?). Hope you are better real soon buddy. Was expecting a cook like my "wings", real sorry it was you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is it your right shoulder?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hapster
    Options
    henapple said:
    No why? It's my left shoulder and arm...

Thanks everyone... finished work and home, happy to be able to take a vic, my arm is throbbing.
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options

I hope you can get some rest. Have you pondered chiropractic and or a licensed massage therapist? I have had back problems from injuries and such since the late eighties and it worked for me.

Good luck feel better!!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• nolaegghead
    Options
    henapple said:
    What - you inferring this was the result of some repetitive adult activity ;)

@Hapster - that happened to me earlier this year.  I was thinking I would need some surgery.  Eventually and slowly I got better.  Hope you do too.

Options

I hope you can get some rest. Have you pondered chiropractic and or a licensed massage therapist? I have had back problems from injuries and such since the late eighties and it worked for me.

Good luck feel better!!

Had a massage on Sat and it really didn't help. Felt great, but not enough...

Thanks @nolaegghead
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I hope it all works out ok.   It's hell getting old......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    If it is truly muscular, find a Physical Therapist that is trained in Dry Needling. It did wonders for me and a lot of friends with muscular issues such as spasms and trigger points.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options

Hope you feel better....

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @nolaegghead said "this was the result of repetitive adult activity that happened to me earlier this year. Oops! Wrong thread; should be the one about English language. ;)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    "Single handedly" you quoted me out of context!  That's something I always deserve. ;)
    Options
    "Single handedly" you quoted me out of context!  That's something I always deserve. ;)
    HaHaHa.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You two are whacked. You keep flogging this topic, jerking each other around. I find it hilarious, so I will continue to stand erect. If necessary, I'll put a sock on it. Wait, did I say that right.