Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg and RV, help/insight...

Options
Haven't been around a lot in past, oh, LONG time....lol  Unfortunately work keeps me too busy.  We picked up our first travel trailer a couple months ago and LOVE it, and knew and planned even before that a small or mini would be in almost immediate plans.  Looking for feedback on size, also saw new "MiniMax."  Most of the time it would be just me and wife, but if ever were more people thinking a small would be better.  Next is transportation, I've looked at the Egg Cartens, are they available again?  Other issue is it would need to be transported in (limited space) TT or on bumper somehow.  Has anyone else come up with a solution to this?  It really can't go in bed of truck, payload is near max as it is.

Thanks ahead of time!
Large Egg October 2011
MiniMax December 2014

Comments

• Jug100
    Jug100 Posts: 7
    Options

I bought the small and I think it is just right.  Anything smaller would be too small. 

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Do you have room in your vehicle, I seat belt my small in the back seat. Or secure it in the trailer somewhere. Rving will never be the same with the egg coming along.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think @RAC has a small which he takes along in his camper. Maybe he will chime in.

Ricky - where you at??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Options
    No, unfortunately, dogs take up back seat in the truck, plus there's the weight issue.  Honestly the ~100# means a lot to peace of mind.
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @gatorBGE‌ I have a mini we carry in our motor home and it is just Ok for 2 people. I have a small at home and would not consider taking it due to wright and transport issues. I am awaiting the mini max to add to the mini for our motor home as it will be short like the mini with the grill space of a small...win win
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    I am living full time in our motorhome. Had to sell my large and medium :( . Bought a small to replace it. Have been belting it in the car to travel but putting the check in the mail for my Egg Carten! That will hopefully make moving it a LOT easier. Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The mini-max has the same size grid as the small. It obviously won't hold as much lump so might not do as well for long cooks, but for routine cooks should have the same capacity for food as the small. Rumor is they will offer some sort of carrier with it.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    We have the small and carry it in the Egg Carten. We store it in one of the storage compartments in our 5th wheel when we travel and keep it in the back yard when not traveling. We looked at both the mini and small and decided the mini was just to small for what we needed when camping but I DO want a mini for the house.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have a small that I take to the lake and transport it in a crate designed my Wess B. I invert the crate and set it on a furniture dolly to move it around my deck. http://www.wessb.com/Tips/smtransport/small_transporter.htm

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Ospreydog
    Ospreydog Posts: 103
    Options
    We have a mini and carry it every time we go camping. I seatbelt it in the back seat of the truck. It has been plenty big enough for us.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Hawg Fan - what do you have under your ceramic feet in the photo? How hot does it get? I'm working on a similar project and I would prefer not to start a fire "around" the SBGE.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Don't have a mini, I have the vision kub which is comparable. Just got back from a 4 day camping trip and took my kub. I cooked for 3 adults and 1 child the whole 4 days with another 2 adults that joined us for an overnight stay. I didn't think the kub would be up to the task but it performed perfectly. I cooked carne asada, Kalbi short ribs, marinated chicken, and kielbasa without a hiccup. I transported the kub in a plastic " milk crate" along with all my BBQ tools with no issues.
  • noarmysargent
    Options
    Gator, in our camper we have a mini. The minimax was not available when we bought ours. The mini is the perfect size for us. I've cooked a full rack of ribs, loins, burgers brats etc. we keep ours in a cooler on wheels that allows us to keep asscories with it as well. We also meet everyone in the camp. Everyone wants o come by when they smell that wonderful smell.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Minniemoh , I have a 19" square piece of ceramic tile below the Small egg in the picture. I just didn't want to set the egg directly on a wooden surface. No problems with the air gap.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX