Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How large of a shoulder can I fit on my Small

Options
bvc
bvc Posts: 37
I did a little searching and didn't really find anything, so I wanted to ask how large of a shoulder have you done one your small egg?  I am thinking I should be able to fit a couple of ~5lb'ers on there, but wanted to ask before I headed to the butcher today.  Thanks!
Kenmore, WA
Large and Small BGE

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have heard of peeps squeezing two 7 lbers on a small before.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    you should be good to go 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've done a single 8lb on my small. Have pull the dome thermometer, though.

Little Rock, AR

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I did 2 7-8 pounders bone in on their sides. Key is bone in if you get the boneless ones from Costco its hard to even fit 1. A couple 5 pounders should be easy. Its not a big deal if they are touching early on they will shrink pretty quick.
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Options
    Lit said:
    I did 2 7-8 pounders bone in on their sides. Key is bone in if you get the boneless ones from Costco its hard to even fit 1. A couple 5 pounders should be easy. Its not a big deal if they are touching early on they will shrink pretty quick.
    Thanks all for the input.  Ended up getting 2x ~7lb'ers w/ bone.
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I am curious to hear if the lump needs refilled! Planning to add a small
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I am curious to hear if the lump needs refilled! Planning to add a small
    So many kinds of lump on the market and the burn times of each brand can vary by hours.
    With quality lump the Small will handle 12-14 hours or more if you start out fully loaded.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you use a good low and slow lump like wicked good or fogo I would bet you could get over 14 hours. I got 8 hours from the mini.