Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizza - cooking on paper bad idea?

Options
grin_phi
grin_phi Posts: 53
Hey all, 

Did my first pizzas on the egg yesterday. I can definitely see the potential but I had some issues that I'd like you guys to comment on.

My method:

• Medium BGE
  • Plate setter legs up
  • Stone on top of grill
  • Stone/egg pre-heated to 600 deg
Due to a lack of prior discussion, my constructed four pizza on baking paper (two might have been on greaseproof paper) so I decided to cook them on it - first mistake right?

First pizza actually came our pretty well - see first photos - but the next two were totally stuck to the paper. 

For the fourth pizza we tried to transfer it off the paper on the to peel - you can what happened then. I cooked it calzone style and its tasted good (as they all did) but leaked all over my stone. 

Pretty sure I know what I did wrong but would like to hear it from some of you. 

Thanks in advance, Phil.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Pretty similar to what I do, but I usually go legs down with the platesetter (it probably doesn't matter up or down if you put the stone on the grill or raise from the grill) and then raise the stone further with either ceramic feet (made for planters) or a couple of fire bricks. 

I use parchment paper under the pizza and leave enough sticking out on one side that I can grab it with my big gloves on and then I just remove the paper after a couple of minutes - usually stick the peel just between the pie and the paper to lift a little and pull the paper.  This takes 10 seconds maybe.  I also rotate the pizza at this point just to even the cooking.

Pizza looks good.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I use some cornmeal on the peal and the stone. Moves around fairly easily to nudge/slip from the peal to the (hot) stone. You might try getting the stone a bit higher in the dome too. The crust will be nice and crispy so you won't need any paper.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    If baking paper is the same as parchment paper, I don't know what went wrong.  Parchment paper is the only thing I would use.
  • Legume
    Options
    I agree, you need to be sure it's parchment.  Even when I've not pulled the paper or couldn't quite grab, it just kind of burns up from the outside in and I'm left with a small bit under the pizza.  The only difference then is the bottom of the crust crisps more slowly which isn't a bad thing if you're not cooking up in the dome.
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options

I do like HDumptyEsq does, use cornmeal under the pizza on parchment paper

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    +1 on parchment paper. I trim it around the pie and pull it out after about 2 minutes. One key thing I learned is that if you use a store-bought dough (think Publix, Krogers etc..), then I would not get the temp up beyond 500 degrees. If you make your own "brick oven" dough, then crank it up to 700.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Same as some of the others. I use parchment paper and then pull off after a few minutes. You'll know its ready when you can just pull it off and it isn't sticking to the paper anymore.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    +2 on PARCHMENT then pull after 2-3 minutes.

ALSO, two quick tips that I have learned the hard way:

1) buy a block of cheese (whole milk motz is the best melt) and grate it yourself.  A bag of pre-grated cheese is a "no-no" because the manufacture adds a non-sticking agent to avoid the cheese from sticking together in the bag . . the result is nasty melt on your 'ZA.
    2) for your sauce, use a can of high quality whole tomatoes / crushed tomatoes and run it through a stainer to remove some of the liquid.  If you want more flavor, you can add some S&P, Herbs, Garlic, etc. 

Good Luck!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 on parchment paper. Or cornmeal works fine for me. I have used both methods.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Options
    Try the small, fresh mozzarella balls (~ 1/2" diameter) either in water or the ones marinated in oil and herbs.  These work really well on homemade pizza.  Also, if you're near a Trader Joe's, they have three types of fresh pizza dough in their refrigerated section near the cheeses, enough in one bag to make a large pizza or three 8" pizzas which is what we usually do.  In my experience, this takes the higher heat better than the dough I get at a larger market.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    NDG said:

2) for your sauce, use a can of high quality whole tomatoes / crushed tomatoes and run it through a stainer to remove some of the liquid.  If you want more flavor, you can add some S&P, Herbs, Garlic, etc. 

Good Luck!

Or if you want a white pizza, sautee some garlic and fresh herbs (basil and oregano, mostly) in olive oil and then strain it through a cheesecloth.  Comes out great.

Also, if you put a head of garlic on the pizza stone while it preheats for about 20-30 minutes, it comes out nicely soft and roasted for a pizza topping or to spread on bread.
    NOLA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Use parchment paper all the time. Pull it out after the first min of cooking
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Parchment paper for me...but I have never tried to pull it out from under the pizza.  Sure, the edges of the paper get a tad singed, but nothing to write home about.  I don't have a peel, so I need the edges of the paper to help transfer the pizza onto my flat cookie sheets for transfer to the kitchen for eating. 
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • bdsdnfam
    bdsdnfam Posts: 22
    Options

Corn Meal directly on the BGE pizza stone.  Legs down on the plate setter.

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    itsmce said:
    Parchment paper for me...but I have never tried to pull it out from under the pizza.  Sure, the edges of the paper get a tad singed, but nothing to write home about.  I don't have a peel, so I need the edges of the paper to help transfer the pizza onto my flat cookie sheets for transfer to the kitchen for eating. 
    +1 from me, I use the same method but I have a wooden pizza spatula that I use to transfer the pizza from the Egg to the table for slicing. Since it is still on the parchment paper I am ok with it going straight to the table. I also put the legs down on the plate setter.

Cheers!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know what baking or greaseproof papers are, unless you mean parchment paper. I hate parchment paper. Or did the 1 or 2 times I tried it way back when. Didn't like the texture of the crust. Yes, I pulled it out after a minute or two. Apparently, the first minute is important! And you still need some way to transport the pie to/from the egg. Might as well use a peel.

I have used a wooden peel for the past 18 years. That and a little semolina sprinkled on it makes it SO easy to launch the pie onto the stone. No sticking - ever. I assemble the pie on it, (shake it a bit after adding each ingredient), take it to the egg, launch the pie, then pick it up and back to the kitchen to cut it, all on the peel. Very handy tool.

I seem to recall making an unintentional calzone once. But only once.

This is all the semolina I use...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I also use semolina rather than corn meal since it doesn't burn as much. I don't use parchment paper.  The pizza is built on a wooden peel since it slides off easier than a metal peel.  I use a metal peel to remove the pizza from the stone - while I'm doing this, my wife is building ther next pizza on the wooden peel.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I tried parchment paper and corn meal and finally just switched to flour. I already have it out as bench flour while forming the balls into pies. Once you learn to build the pie quickly on a floured peel and with quick wrist movements make sure the pie is free before launching it works. A wooden peel works best for launching. I like metal to pull it off. Also use the metal peel to scrape the stone clean before the next pie.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    DMW said:
    I tried parchment paper and corn meal and finally just switched to flour. I already have it out as bench flour while forming the balls into pies. Once you learn to build the pie quickly on a floured peel and with quick wrist movements make sure the pie is free before launching it works. A wooden peel works best for launching. I like metal to pull it off. Also use the metal peel to scrape the stone clean before the next pie.
    It's been a long time since I used just flour on the peel. Will have to try it again cuz you're right, it IS already out on the counter. I think semolina is better, but maybe it's not better enough. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grin_phi
    grin_phi Posts: 53
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your comments, suggestions and experiences!

I guess I'll try a couple of things including whipping the parchment out, using semolina/cornmeal and just trying to become more skilled with the peel
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The best solution, because you can use it on extremely fragile dough concoctions, is the "Mega-Peel". 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145966/mega-peel-project-for-unadulterated-dough-transportation/p1
    Options
    I use a wood peel with a light dusting of corn meal and brush off the old corn meal on my pizza stone between pizzas. As high in the dome as possible above the plate setter works for me.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I use cornmeal, both because it acts like little ball bearings, but also because I like the roasted corn flavor it imparts to the pizza.

I tried parchment once and it instantly burned to a crisp. Last time for that, the idea of paper in a 600deg grill just seems like a bad idea too.

I make the pizza as I cook them. I think the dough/sauce interface makes the pizza stick, so I make fresh with each pie so nothing has sit and get gummy/sticky.

I also use a combo of a wooden pizza peel and the pampered chef mega lifter. Its essentially a small metal pizza peel. Its supposed to be used to move cakes, but it is an awesome giant metal spatula. This let's me use two hands to rotate and manipulate the pies. Much easier to slide off, on, or rotate for even cooking.

Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2014
    Options
    The best solution, because you can use it on extremely fragile dough concoctions, is the "Mega-Peel". 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145966/mega-peel-project-for-unadulterated-dough-transportation/p1
    That is awesome.  For us mere mortals who can't build stuff...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Nice work on that peel! But, best solution? I'm not going to go to that much effort, nor am I willing to spend $50 or more for the commercial version. I've done some mighty thin 00 pizzas on my cheapo wooden peel from 1996. We get along just fine. 18 years now - and I've never even LOOKED at another peel. Well, except the twin... bought two of them at the same time. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut