Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Bricks with Table Nest?

Options
Laxin16
Laxin16 Posts: 62
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hi, 
Newbie here....I built this table last weekend and now i'm getting the Large Egg tomorrow. I'm planning on getting the table nest but what type of brick do i need under it? Can i use ceramic tile or do i still need fire bricks with the table nest? 

Please let me know. 

Thx, 
Laxin

Comments

• sofakingbald
    Options
    I'm no pro, but a 2-3" square slab should do the trick. Although, I have seen some with granite slabs and even a tripod of stone/brick for the egg to rest on. Keep looking around on the forum but I don't think you need the table nest if you lay down the right base.

BGE novice from Arlington, Texas

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I started with just a 2" thick paver under my egg but the wood under the paver got very hot during  pizza cooks so I then added a layer of fire brick on top of the paver.  My egg sits atop the 3 ceramic feet they used to supply with the egg a few years back.  The more times wood heats it tends to lower its flash point so one day the wood could start on fire rather easily.  I took the safe route.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Laxin16
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...I just got off the phone with dealer and they can order the table nest for $30. However, he told me it's not needed. They are going to throw in a grand square paver which the egg will sit on. 

I'm going to run some tests and see how hot the paver get's during Pizza cooks. If it's getting above 115 i will get the table nest. 

Laxin
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Honestly with the table nest I don't think you need anything under it because there is plenty of space and air flow, but a paver certainly wouldn't hurt anything.  I would just go with a paver that you like that matches your table.  The table nest gives you 4-5 times more space under the egg compared to the little green feet they used to provide.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    I used fire brick under my table nest for my XL. It might be overkill but it makes me feel better.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt that's for sure.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    Spend the $2.50 for a paver and peace of mind. Like wearing a belt and suspenders.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I would definitely recommend the table nest over sitting your egg flush on a paver or concrete block. Not only do you have the possibility of charing the wood under the paver, but I feel you also have the possibility of over heating the bottom of your kettle because  it's ability to sluff heat is restricted. If it were my decision i would purchase the table nest and set it on top of the  paver block. Overkill, maybe. But I am pretty confident you won't have any of the above mentioned issues. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    I like the bottle opener.....Don't forget to stock up with beer.. Good luck with your new egg and welcome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I'd get the table nest and put a paver or fire brick under the nest.  There's been a couple of guys that have burned up there tables and one guy unfortunately lost his house to a fire that started when his table caught fire after a cook and after he had shut down the Egg and gone to bed for the night.  Don't risk your house, family, personal belongings etc. over $30 for a nest and few bucks on a paver/fire bricks.  Just my $.02.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Nice looking table by the way.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    Options
    mark11 said:
    I used fire brick under my table nest for my XL. It might be overkill but it makes me feel better.
    Same here!
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I hope the firebrick you guys are using is the soft, lightweight INSULATING type, not the stuff that's supposed to retain heat.

I don't have a table, but if I ever build one, I think a layer of these plus a table nest would be a good choice.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Laxin16
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to get the table nest for the added level of confidence. 
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    How about the table nest for a large with a piece of 3 cm thick granite underneath?  I just finished staining my table and already have the table nest, need to find the granite.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Does BGE say anything about the need for anything beneath the table nest?  I have one but haven't gotten time to do any experiments (bwahahaha!!!! it's alive!) with it yet.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    Options
    I hope the firebrick you guys are using is the soft, lightweight INSULATING type, not the stuff that's supposed to retain heat.

I don't have a table, but if I ever build one, I think a layer of these plus a table nest would be a good choice.
    Yes, they are the lightweight insulated ones. 
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I would do the nest and brick and sleep better at night then with no worries
    Danville, Il
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    This is a timely discussion for me, I am having an outdoor kitchen built for my eggs and just bought table nests for each. I think the insulating fire bricks under that would help me sleep better as well. I have the XL on the left, granite in the middle, then the Medium, then a 90 degree turn with more granite and a cut out for an LP burner. I will have a fire extinguisher out there in the furniture as well, just in case. 
    Pictures will follow when the project is complete, hopefully by the end of the weekend. I am having a pergola built as well to provide some shade and a place to hang a ceiling fan.
    I thought about installing a small fan to aid in heat dispersal, that may be overkill though.

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Carolina Q said: ... if I ever build one, I think a layer of these plus a table nest would be a good choice.

To clarify... all that addresses (hopefully) is the heat coming from the bottom of the egg. There are many other factors to be considered. Which is why mine will likely stay in a nest, off the deck and away from the house. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Laxin16
    Options
    Added a bigger brick and table nest! Thanks for the recommendations.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    My Egg caught the table on fire from the side, likely due to a crack that had occurred. No paver could have prevented that. Some sort of insulating material on the sides might not be a bad idea. I'm in a nest now.
    Kemah, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Laxin16‌ This mod I did to the table nest got me the height I needed. But, in a case like yours or others with wooden tables it would eliminate the need for bricks and allows for plenty air movement. It also gives a clear cut visual of your table and damage etc (which would be a non issue with this). Again I didn't need this on my SS table but, it was a clean way to get the height I needed. Just a suggestion that's all. ;-)
    imageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL