Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newb with a couple of questions please

A couple of weeks ago the SWMBO got me a LBGE for Father's Day / birthday present. I have cooked every dinner on it since I have received it and all I can say is that it's awesome.

I have been lurking here for several weeks trying to learn from those more experienced. However, I still have a couple of questions I cannot figure out from reading previous threads. For you pros out there, please help me with some obviously newb questions:

1. Thermometers. I had a cheapo remote probe thermometer, however it gave up the ghost a couple of days ago (don't ask me how). After reading some reviews online, I now have a maverick 733 on the way from amazon. Additionally, I picked up a thermopop. Per some reviews online, the 733 does not work well on thinner cuts of meat (I.e. Steaks and chicken breast). If this is true, how do I monitor the internal temp of my steaks? Do I use the maverick to get in the ball park of the target temp, then switch to the thermopop?

2. I see lots of pictures of aluminum trays underneath meats that tend to drip. Where exactly do you put this tray? Right on top of the coals? I would think that would interfere with air flow/ smoke....

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I will give this a shot.

1st question when doing a seat you want to sear both sides at 500 to 700 degrees then cool the egg to 350 to finish them off using the the top op for temp.

2nd. The drip pan is on low and slow cooks so you would use the platesetter legs up with the drip pan on the setter under the meat. I use little balls of foil to raise the drip pan off the setter so the drippings don't burn.

hope this helped and welcome.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    I don"t use a thermometer on thin steaks - just look and feel.
    If you're using a pan under the cook, it's either to catch drippings to stop flare-ups or fill with a liquid for moisture during a cook. Either way, it's best if it's away from the fire directly with a gap between the pan and the fire. You can use feet (from BGE) or garden pot feet (from Lowe's or HD) or you can ball up some aluminum foil (3 balls) and stick those under the pan on top of the plate-setter.
    Welcome aboard and take pix.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited July 2014

Congrats on your new Egg.  You will love it.

1.  There's really no need to monitor things like steak and chicken breasts.  They will cook fast enough that an occasional instant-read check is sufficient.  You will quickly get a sense of when steaks, et al, are near target temp just from practice.  Further you don't generally want to use your Maverick probes with anything you are cooking direct, as they can get damaged.  (You might use them if you are searing a larger cut of meat, like a rib roast, but I still don't think it's necessary).

2.  Usually you put a drip tray on the plate setter (head deflector).  You want to get some spacing between the tray and plate setter so the drippings don't burn.  I use old sockets from a ratchet set, but some use aluminum foil balls, copper tees, or really anything to give it some space.
    If you have a multigrid set up (adjustable rig, or homemade set up with fire bricks or carriage bolts), you can put the drip pan on the lower grid.

Hope that helps.  Have fun with your egg!!
    NOLA
  • CLT_BGE
    CLT_BGE Posts: 12
    Awesome replies. Thank you for the help.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @badinfluence‌ I normally start out raised direct on steak at 300℉ pull for rest and then finish off with reverse sear on CI grid or CI pan at 600℉-700℉. FWIW the results are the same and to bring from 700℉ down to 350℉ is more difficult/time consuming than vise versa.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774

@badinfluence‌ I normally start out raised direct on steak at 300℉ pull for rest and then finish off with reverse sear on CI grid or CI pan at 600℉-700℉. FWIW the results are the same and to bring from 700℉ down to 350℉ is more difficult/time consuming than vise versa.

I guess that would be better. But I sear first then already have another egg going at 350 too finish it off
    You can never have to many eggs.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @badinfluence‌ :)) with the amount of eggs you have you could have a egg for rare, med rare, med, med well and well. And then a separate one for sides and still have unused eggs. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    I agree with what @NPHuskerFL said, reverse sear produces a very good steak, and it is a very easy technique to do on the egg.  The way I use my Maverick to do it is stick the probe into the side of the cut, going thru the middle of the thickest part of the steak.  Then I watch the internal temp.  When it gets to 95, I flip it over(if you put the probe in right, this is not a problem).  When it gets to 115, I take it off and let it sit uncovered on a plate for 10 minutes.  Just after taking the meat off, I remove the daisy wheel, and open the bottom vent all the way.  After about 10 minutes the egg is at 750 to 800, then I remove the temp probe and put the meat back on.  Sear for about 60 to 90 seconds per side with the lid open the whole time.  Please remove the temp probe before you put the meat back on!

This works best on thicker cuts of meat, like 1.5"+.  You will need gloves and long tongs to protect your hands and arms from the heat and flames during the sear.  Another benefit for this technique is that you are unlikely to experience a fireball when cooking your steak. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

buzd504 said:

Congrats on your new Egg.  You will love it.

1.  There's really no need to monitor things like steak and chicken breasts.  They will cook fast enough that an occasional instant-read check is sufficient.  You will quickly get a sense of when steaks, et al, are near target temp just from practice.  Further you don't generally want to use your Maverick probes with anything you are cooking direct, as they can get damaged.  (You might use them if you are searing a larger cut of meat, like a rib roast, but I still don't think it's necessary).

Agreed.

Early on, before I made a raised grill, or bought a 'setter, I sometimes used a roast rack to set in the pan that sat on the grill.

Most of the time, the pan does not need additional fluids unless the drippings begin to burn. On a raised grill set up, the pan on the lower grill works fine by itself as a heat deflector. As long as there is fluid in it, it won't get hotter than boiling temp.

If using a plateseter for more of an oven like effect, the pan needs to be raised because the 'setter will come to about 600F.