Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Base

Options
Well this put a stop to a great egging weekend... open up the egg to cleaning it out for some low and slow and as i'm cleaning it out i notice ...... F#@K!!!! o well thats life i guess.. Warrenty claim is underway but not sure how long it is going to take as i am in Canada. now here is my next question is to safe to cook on? pic's are attached. Let me know what think?
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I'd give it a go if it's on a surface that wouldn't cause a problem if it continued to crack all the way. Doesn't appear it's separated, so I'd give it a go myself, instead of being out for a while.

That said, mines outside, on a concrete patio with no way to catch anything on fire.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I cooked for a few month with a cracked base, my large is in a nest so I wasn't too worried about it falling apart.

Good luck!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @eggingout1983‌
    My large has numerous hair line cracks thru out it. Been using for quite some time with no issues. I wouldn't let it stop me from cooking. Mine also has holes on the gasket surface that are pretty severe.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @eggingout1983‌
    Look here.imageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    +1 on the above as long as you aren't set up for a fire with a larger crack.  I've been running with a cracked base for 7 months (warranty replacement in the garage) and I do believe it "self-healed".  No more drippings under the BGE on the concrete patio so we march on.  BTW-mine is in a nest.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Agree with the above. If you pay attention to it and make sure it isn't getting worse, I would march on. I probably wouldn't leave the house for extended period of time if they were not on a concrete (or similar) surface.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • eggingout1983
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals I feel much better brisket is on
    Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max