Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 probe question

Options
I put on 2 racks of pork ribs yesterday, setting the pit temp at 225° indirect with plate setter and grate and waited until the temp showed 224° before putting on the ribs. The dome temp however showed much higher--360°. Lots os smoke--a while lot. Left for golf, returning 4.5 hrs later, hoping to see the pit temp still at 224° which it was--still dome temp much higher. The ribs were essentially toast--inedible.

I'd shut my top daisy wheel to smidgens, but the Pit Viper was wide open, which probably was part of the issue.

Does this sound like a faulty pit temp probe? I am thinking that the readout on the DigiQ pit temp and the dome temp on the BGE should be pretty close. So my suspicion is faulty pit probe, correct dome temp reading and dramatically overcooked ruined ribs. I am only positive on the latter.

Bruce

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Can you put the probe in boiling water and ice water and see if it is reasonable there?  Was the probe too close to or touching any of the meat?
    The Naked Whiz
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I normally clip my probe to my dome thermometer. So there is no confusion on if my probe is shot. I recently calibrated my dome thermometer by sticking into boiling water and compared to my thermopen, but you can use any other reliable thermometer I guess. Water has a rolling boil at 212f If you have no other thermo to compare.