Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger here - a couple of pics and a few questions

Options
Hi everyone!

Just got my first ceramic cooker last week, an XL BGE.  Trying to obey the break-in period for the gasket, I put on some chucks that I had in the freezer.  They turned out okay, but I'm looking forward to learning how to cook better with the grill.  Here are a couple of pics:

After setting up my egg, I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1.  I followed the instructions to pull the dome back 1/8-1/4 inch (so it can move forward in the hinge or something like that), but it never moved forward, so now I have a 1/4" underbite.  The seal seems good, though.  Is this something worth fixing?  I hate to unassembled it....

2.  There was a lot of dust and crumbles inside the egg when I unpacked the box.  I noticed there were some rough edges to the fire ring (where some ceramic had chipped away) and some sort of small round patch or seal on the inside of the dome.  Are these normal, or something I should be concerned about?  The BGE came from a local dealer.

3.  Obviously the daisy-wheel sits on top of the dome but doesn't attach.  Should I remove it each time I open the egg?  Or is it stable enough to leave on there?

I know these are probably stupid questions, but I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Frank

Egger in Maine

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    First off, welcome.  It's a fun obsession/journey.  Hopefully these will help you:
    1.  If there is not any smoke escaping, I would not worry about it.  I've had an under bite since I got mine about a year ago.
    2.  Hard to answer without seeing any pictures.
    3.  You can leave the daisy wheel on.  I do not use mine for anything over 350 degrees.  A tip for using it is to have the hinge screw on top near the handle and not the rear hindge, this will prevent the top from moving when opening and closing the dome.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle.

My daisy wheel will fall off if I open the dome to quickly. I noticed on the new LBGE that I cooked on a couple of weeks ago at the eggfest that the daisy wheel fit is very snug now and would be less likely to fall off.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Welcome!

Wouldn't worry about the under bite if no smoke comes out from it. And, at least with mine, the daisy wheel is stable enough not to fall when I'm opening the dome but I just need to watch not opening the dome too quickly.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Maine_Frank
    Options
    2.  Hard to answer without seeing any pictures.
    Thanks, all!  There's no smoke escaping, and the fire went out pretty quickly when I closed the vents, so I guess I'll just leave it be.

Here are some pics of the chipping and patch:

Thanks again!

Egger in Maine
  • Maine_Frank
    Options
  • bdsdnfam
    bdsdnfam Posts: 22
    Options

I also have an XL.  Purchased it almost two years ago and probably have done a minimum of 50-60 cooks on it!  It's my second kitchen!! 

I wouldn't worry about the over/under bite unless you are losing smoke.  As far as the flakes & chips along with the discoloring you have a 3 year warranty on these parts....just be sure to register with BGE.  Finally, when you order your first gasket take some of the extra (there will be extra) and put it around the inside of the daisy wheel and the ceramic cap.  It makes for a nice tight fit that won't fall off!!

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Mine didn't have that chipping so as long as it's not continuous (still chipping and falling off over a period of time), I would think it should be ok. But you can certainly request replacement for peace of mind and if you want to.

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    No, I would not worry about the chips and the patch. As far as the daisywheel did you apply the felt gasket that came with your Egg to the Egg, If you did the daisywheel should fit snug and no need to worry about it falling off.

By the way enjoy the journey. You will get the meaning of that in a few months. And stock up on Budweiser!
    :))
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    There's a felt gasket that comes with the egg? I didn't know but pretty sure my egg doesn't come with it.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

Welcome aboard and as has been said, enjoy the journey.  And the following is a great ceramic cook web site-will likely answer many questions, including how to align the DFMT so it doesn't self-adjust when opening the dome:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    I got my LBGE in January and It came with a piece of felt gasket just like on the base and dome about 10 inches long with double stick tape on it to be applied around the top of the dome where the daisywheel fits and without it my daisywheel and ceramic top would not seal properly and fall off. Check with your dealer TODAY I think this is very important!
  • Maine_Frank
    Options
    There wasn't a small gasket in my box.  I'll check in with the dealer and see.  Thanks.
    Egger in Maine
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

I would show the pictures to the dealer if only  for the reason to have it on record.

Especially the chipped material on the bottom of the box.

Then if anything happens you can say "Remember?"

It's still covered by warranty in any case.

• Maine_Frank
    Maine_Frank Posts: 10
    edited July 2014
    Options
    sorry, double post
    Egger in Maine
  • Maine_Frank
    Options
    Ok, thanks.  That seems like a good precaution.  The egg works great, so no complaints.  But better safe than sorry....
    Egger in Maine