Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Condensation in dome thermometer

Options
After one or two cooks, I took the dome thermometer out of my new egg and calibrated it in a pot of boiling water, as is commonly suggested on the forum.  After doing that, I now have some condensation/fogginess on the center of the glass.  Its been almost two months, and a dozen+ cooks later, and it is still there.  Is there a trick to drying it out?  I do notice that the needle will stick sometimes when the temp is going up or down slowly.  There was no fog before I submerged the tip in water to calibrate it.  Anyone else had this happen, and what did you do about it?

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Same thing just happened to me.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have always had condensation even before calibrating it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I had that with my original, non-Tel-Tru thermo. Fogged up just from being outside and it never went away. Bought a Tel-Tru (before BGE started using them) and it has never fogged up. Either from the weather (always uncovered) or from calibrating.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Try putting the thermometer in a baggy with rice in it for a day or so. It should dry out nicely - just like a cell phone.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    Take it out and place it face down in a sunny spot for a few hours.

I do it every once in a while with my thermometers. The condensation will come back in a few weeks, but doesnt affect performance anyway.
    Mamaroneck
  • morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Options
    Do like we did in the lab:  Get the smallest drill bit and drill a hole on the back near the edge.  That will let the condensation escape.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Or you could do what I did the other day to my Mini's Tel Tru... Drop it on the patio, then grab a pair of pliers and pull all the broken glass bits out. Don't know how it will hold up to the weather, but it'll never steam up!  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mama Roneck
    Options
    Carolina Q's is probably the most correct answer I have ever seen on this forum. Problem solved!
    Mamaroneck
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yeah, as if it was intentional!  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My Tel-Tru has a tiny bit of condensation. It's barely noticeable and doesn't effect its accuracy so I pay it no nevermind.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ok, I just put mine in rice for a day.  Still condensation.  Do you think I cooked the rice too much?
    Options

Ok, I just put mine in rice for a day.  Still condensation.  Do you think I cooked the rice too much?

8-}
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Do you think I cooked the rice too much?
    sigh.........

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mama Roneck
    Options
    Did you use basmati or arborio?
    Mamaroneck
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mine has had condensation for a while now, but hasn't stopped it from working. I was worried at first, but it works fine. Won't worry until it stops working.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @nolaegghead. "Boil-in-a-Bag" works every time………..But I find the bag gets chewy! ;))

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Do like we did in the lab:  Get the smallest drill bit and drill a hole on the back near the edge.  That will let the condensation escape.
    Do this.    Mine always had condensation until I drilled a hole in the bottom (6:00) edge.  Works great.  See this old thread for a picture:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ok, I drilled a hole in it. But the rice doesn't fit.  Should I be using basmati?
    Options
    @ nolaegghead. Pick the noodles out of Rice-A-Roni. Try those.

Er. This thing is getting a little Krispy - it's turning into a serial!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    FWIW, I think the thermo is covered under warranty for 1 yr. Worth a shot if you thinks it's not working right now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.